Author Topic: Juicy arrow photography  (Read 2463 times)

Offline boomhowzer

Juicy arrow photography
« on: July 05, 2021, 06:04:12 pm »
Feast your eyes, boys and girls. Arrows. I made them to go with my Lucky Silvertip Burnout Gator Bag Bow. (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70280.msg986733.html#msg986733)

Hickory shafting worked down from a lumberyard board, 28" in length, self knocked and 3-fletched helically. They weigh between 540 and 555 gr, spined between my thumbs, and decorated with acrylic paint, deck stain, and a Sharpie marker.

The broadheads were cut from an old dovetail saw. You'll notice in the pictures the broadheads are 3 different shapes. I'm testing to see which design stays attached to the arrow shaft the best. They are all secured with pitch (pine sap and coal dust), and tied down with deer sinew and TB III.  So far, none of their heads have popped off, and I don't expect them to for quite some time, but I'll keep you updated.

The feathers are secondaries from a road kill turkey I picked up this spring, all tied down with deer sinew and TB III. The cock feathers are dyed in turmeric and hot water.

Its hard to tell in the pictures, but the nocks are not the same size. One of them is bulky, another is thin, and one is right in the middle. The half-dozen or so arrows I've made in the past had large, obnoxious nocks I did not like, so I trimmed these down to see what I could get away with. Even the thinnest one is holding up well so far.

The big revolution I had in making these arrows was my feather grinding process. My previous arrows were made with only 100% all natural, organic, homemade, non-GMO, gluten free, and kosher materials not known to the state of California to cause cancer so I struggled getting the quills thin, flat, and even. With these arrows, I stepped into the 21st century and turned on my bench grinder, quickly quelling my quill qualms and turning out some nice feathers. The smell though. Wow. If you've never smelled the smell of burning turkey feathers, I suggest you fire up your blow torch and give those scorching quills a quaff.

In the future, I'd like to improve my sinew wrapping. I am realizing that the little tiny handwork required in building archery tackle is a difficult skill that takes practice and patience to learn, but I am eager to get better. I often find myself practicing while doing daily household tasks, like cleaning silverware, untying knots, and buttoning buttons. I improve everyday, but I've seen some amazing arrows on here, specifically burchett.donalds latest (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70116.0.html), where the sinew looks like it was hand spun by a meticulous silk worm. Mine are always messy, hair-brained, and uneven, like I paid a drunk spider to do the work. Its not easy! You have to hold the feathers, the sinew, and the arrow shaft all at the same time, and then try to tie the feathers in a double helix around the shaft using only the sinew to hold the two together and you only have 10 fingers. 12 or 15 would seem expedient, but I imagine we could learn a lot from someone who fletches with just 8 or 6 fingers.

Other than that, I'm very proud of these arrows. They're spooky silent in flight, they seem to be very durable, and as you can see in the pictures, they always go straight into the bullseye.
Bellaire, MI

Offline boomhowzer

Re: Juicy arrow photography
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 06:08:55 pm »
more  :fp
Bellaire, MI

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 06:34:24 pm »
Cool beans!! I've made some hickory arrows. I don't know how you got them down to 550 grains!! But you can bounce them off rocks and trees and cars and trucks, all in the same day.
Don

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 07:26:32 pm »
OK Boomhowzer, You have revealed another hidden talent...Nice looking arrows! Are you planning to hunt those rockets? My hat is off to you for being able to fight with Hickory shafting...Makes a heavy hitter for sure...Damn fine paint I might add also...
                                                                                                                                          Don
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:32:07 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:40:05 pm »
Thanks guys! Hickory is actually the only wood I’ve tried for arrows so far. The last ones I made I worked down with a cabinet scraper. Pain in the keister. Not all that satisfying either. I think I cussed a hornet’s nest right out of my shop by the time I was done. But with modern power tools, I haven’t found it too disagreeable. I buck it down into squares with a table saw, hand plane the corners off, and then catch one end in the chuck of a hand drill and run it through the sandpaper gauntlet: 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 400, 600, 800, I’m kidding, I normally only have the patience to get to 120. Maybe 150 if it’s early and I’ve had some coffee. But these were easy to get a consistent weight, and with the help of the hand drill you can get them dead straight. It’s also nice because they’re still homemade shafts, but you can get to the fun parts faster, which for me is the decorations and the deadly parts.
Bellaire, MI

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 12:25:07 pm »
Nice arrows!  Enjoyed the soliloquy, too!  Points look good!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 05:33:45 pm »
Nice shafts boomhowzer.When a person sits down and actually starts making arrow shafts they find it's either enjoyable or a PITA.Looks like your ready for some shoot shafts like plum,dogwood,ocean spray,privet,hill cane,and bamboo.Those are enjoyable too.The list seems to be endless on the variety.Whatever is prevelant in your area or gotten through trading.
PS....BTW....I like that rock garden you got going there.Looks nice!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:07:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 08:01:16 pm »
I have some maple shafts that have been drying for a few months. They're intimidating. I'm amazed by PatrickH's recent lilac arrow posts. Those were about as crooked as my maple shafts and he got them looking dead straight. Can't be easy, but I'll have to give it a try.
Bellaire, MI