Author Topic: The Lucky Silvertip Burnout Gator Bag Bow  (Read 3915 times)

Offline boomhowzer

The Lucky Silvertip Burnout Gator Bag Bow
« on: June 28, 2021, 12:26:14 pm »
I am honored to present to you, the infamous band of bow droolers and ridiculers, my Lucky Silvertip Burnout Gator Bag Bow. 60" NTN, 1 1/4" wide elm bow backed with a burlap bag. Pulls 47# at 26". A real 4-leaf clover is set into the arrow pass, and the grip, I was told by the lady at the fabric store, is alligator leather. Looks like cow to me, but I'm gullible as a baby in a cradle.

Performance wise, it's a real smooth shooter, slight stacking at the end of the draw due to its length, and because the string is offset from center, it's pretty accurate, but a bit of a wrist slapper. I increased the brace height to about 6 1/2 inches and now I can shoot it without a wrist guard. All 100 of the arrows I shot through it flew directly into the bulls-eye with no creeks, chrysals, cracks, checks or kablooeys, so I'm happy. I even took it out in the rain the other day and it did fine, the water beaded up on the burlap and the grip dampened slightly but didn't soak through.

Here are a few of the lessons this bow taught me:

1) Burlap is strong, heavy, and ugly.
2) Sharpie markers are great for decorations, but don't paint your whole bow with one.
3) Dried flower decorations are worthy of further exploration.
4) Go slow, no slower, no slower, no slower, no slower……
5) When that fails, save your weakling 20# bow with 4" of set by roasting it over a fire.

Further details on this bow can be found here:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70200.0.html

And please excuse my camouflage in the full draw photo. Our balmy Northern Michigan summer was suddenly interrupted by an arctic blast and this is the only thing I had that was going to blend me in!   (-S (S)
Bellaire, MI

Offline boomhowzer

Re: The Lucky Silvertip Burnout Gator Bag Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 12:31:05 pm »
More...
Bellaire, MI

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 12:54:58 pm »
Beauty is in the eye of the bow holder, nothing wtong there, tiller looks spot on to me
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline airkah

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 01:09:39 pm »
I think this is my favorite bow description I have ever read! I love the idea of the 4 leaf clover in the arrow pass. Good job on the tiller also, please never stop sharing these.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:36:47 pm by airkah »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 01:34:46 pm »
Man that is a looker. Love the U.P. Camouflage to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DyerAudrey

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 01:51:48 pm »
Awesome description! Even I wanted your bow myself :D

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 02:08:15 pm »
Wood Booger Deluxe.

Love that baby.  Nice rig. I'm gonna do one of them.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 02:42:18 pm »
Thanks everyone!

BJrogg, I'm actually a troll. "Upper Northwest Lower Michigan" is the geographically baffling nomenclature used by the local meteorologists to describe my area of residence.
Bellaire, MI

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 04:47:07 pm »
Hey I use to live in L. A.

Lower Alabama.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 07:17:42 pm »
Boomhowzer it looks like a good bend on that bow from here.  I like your sense of humor.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 07:54:02 pm »
Very good tiller. Well done.  :OK   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 07:58:06 pm »
Wood Booger Deluxe. If there was any more ink left in my red Sharpie I’d be inscribing that on the belly. ;D
Bellaire, MI

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 09:21:17 pm »
WBD, Got enough ink for that. I have a had a few WBD's in my skinning shed! full with wood booger tunnels in limbs.

That hunt garb full draw pic is the frkn Schitt!!!!!!  I'm makin that my phone wall paper for main screen. I'm thinkin WoodBooggerDuluxe as a new bow line for HH hunting rigs.

Hey, I'm digging the muskrat Kremlin Hat too! Priceless for a cold morning in the stand.

Keep em coming Braddah!

HH~
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:24:24 pm by HH~ »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 10:17:58 pm »
Thanks everyone!

BJrogg, I'm actually a troll. "Upper Northwest Lower Michigan" is the geographically baffling nomenclature used by the local meteorologists to describe my area of residence.

I’m a troll to boomhowzer. I’m in the thumb. Right on the big lake. I know what’s it’s like to scramble for a few more layers to.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 10:36:46 pm »
Sweet! The thumb? I’ve honestly never even been there. Maybe we’ll do some hunting this fall. Who knows?

And HH, I’ve seen yer bows, they’re sweet. I’d love to see what you can do with a burlap bag back. It’s tough stuff too. I pulled this thing back to 31” before I called it done, just so I could let my lankier friends shoot it without worrying, and the bow didn’t even flinch. I bet it could have done 40”. And if you heat treat it after you apply the burlap, the Titebond III becomes Titebond IV, the greatest most ultimate glue of all time.
Bellaire, MI