Author Topic: Hello and first bow.  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Jeffwhale7

Hello and first bow.
« on: June 26, 2021, 08:59:00 pm »
Hello everyone.  My name is Jeff Hale, I’m 50 years old, live in WA state and and a complete rookie, noob, beginner with making bows.  I’ve hunted my whole life with rifles and muzzleloaders but I’ve never let anyone arrow fly at a game animal.  But that’s about to change!  I need at least a year of intense pract then I’ll be ready to try some small game, and maybe a real close shot on a deer. 

I’ve tried to build 3 bows over the last 3 months.  My first one was an Oak board bow backed with fiberglass tape just to practice some basic skills.  I had no expectations.  It broke after about 200 arrows.   Next I bought 2 yew wood staves for $80 each (I’m assuming that’s the going rate for average staves?).  They both had some substantial knots, which I understand is more common than not with yew.  I used only hand tools and got about 35 hours into bow #2 and I broke it tillering.  BUT, I closely examined the break and read a bunch from people on this forum, and I was ready to try bow #3 out of the 2nd yew stave.  Well, this time I was way more careful and I had to figure out what to do with the knots.  So one I “built into” the limb by accepting it and the wood that flowed around it and left it proud.  However, there were two smaller knots on the belly that concerned me with black, soft pithy cores. I decided to drill them out gingerly and plugged them with left over heart wood from the bow that broke only a week before.   It worked.  Well…so far.  Who knows if this thing will last.  Only time will tell.  It is 45# at 28”.  It’s really accurate for me so far.  Unfortunately it has about an inch of string follow and it’s only throwing a 500 spine, 300 grain arrow at 140 FPS.  So, this won’t be powerful enough to hunt deer with, but it’ll be fine for up close grouse, rabbits, squirrels and probably even Turkey.   It’s very, very basic.  Nothing fancy.   I’m having g a ton of fun.  Can’t wait to try another.  I want to say thank you to all those that have posted information on this site.  Without that information I couldn’t have been successful with my first basic bow.  So THANK  YOU!  I will try to post useful things when I come across them but for now I’m so new that I’m not sure I have much to offer.  Here are a couple pics of my basic self on out of Yewwood.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:20:09 pm by Jeffwhale7 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello and first bow.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 11:08:07 pm »
Welcome to PA Jeff and welcome to the addiction.   :BB     Can we see a braced and full draw pic of your bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline airkah

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 11:12:57 pm »
Welcome! Congrats on making a bow out of what is not the easiest stave, can't wait to see more pictures of it.

Offline Victor

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 04:41:38 am »
Interestingly, it reminds me of the Neolithic bow found in Sarnate, Latvia )
zQuPTxX9_b8 by Виктор Виктор, on Flickr

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 08:07:10 am »
Nice. Nothing like ending with a nice shooter.
Don

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 08:54:50 am »
Welcome to PA and congrats on your bow. Like Pat said this can be very addictive. And so can the hunting. It can actually be quite life changing.

I also share your thoughts and thanks to all the people here who have helped so many of us make those first bows and share this addiction. It’s a great group to hang out with.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 09:16:16 am »
Ditto. What BJ said. Welcome.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 11:34:13 am »
Welcome to PA, enjoy the ride....
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 12:15:14 pm »
Welcome. You found the friendliest place on the internet. We already love your bow, but we want some more pictures. Specifically, one of the bow braced and then one of you pulling the bow back to full draw. Then the drooling will commence.
Bellaire, MI

Offline Jeffwhale7

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 01:56:58 pm »
Ok.   I’ll brace it and pull it and take some pics.  But remember I’m a complete beginner.  I’ll get some pics up soon.  Thanks all!

Offline Jeffwhale7

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 02:11:25 pm »
Here are a couple pics.  It appears there is a hinge in the tiller at the beginning of the top limb.  I left it fatter and wider there because that’s where I plugged the knot on the belly side.  That’s right where the hinge is. 

Offline scp

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 03:09:24 pm »
I would wrap the hinge with tape, until it is not so apparent anymore. Then long even strokes of scraping or sanding elsewhere.

Offline Jeffwhale7

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 03:26:30 pm »
Gotcha.  I think I’ll try that.  Any other critiques or advice?

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 03:30:57 pm »
Any other critiques or advice?

Get the stave drying for the next one!
Don

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 04:48:06 pm »
Make a tillering gizmo, it will prevent hinges from scraping one place too much. The outer thirds of the limbs are a little stiff.