Author Topic: 50# Thinner Hickory Flat bow  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
50# Thinner Hickory Flat bow
« on: June 13, 2021, 10:03:16 pm »
more images and content at https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/50-thinner-hickory-flat-bow/

62″ tip to tip
Limbs are 1 1/4″ at the widest
About 3/8″ at the tips
I had a hickory stave that if I spilt it in half i was afraid I would have two narrowish bows, so I split it with one a bit more narrow. This is the narrow side of that stave.

It started several inches longer, but I decided to recurve it and one end split (right at a pin knot), so it was shortened and retillered.

It came in at 47#@28', so I heat treated it which brought it up to 50#.

It’s died with Fiebing’s Leather Dye

The stave had a spot I knew I had to watch. I was hoping it would be ok, but nope,  I had a crack in the side and after about 300 arrows it started to migrated out the back, so I opened it up, got some super glue in it and wrapped it with artificial sinew set in the glue.

Then I though I’d add some turkey feathers to the back. They did not come out as well as I hoped, but they still look ok. I thinned the feathers as much as I could. I’ve found its easiest to coat the bow with glue, I’m using titebond lll, then press the feather into it. I then lift the feather to make sure there is glue on all parts, if not I add some glue and do it again. I found trying to coat the feather at this point didn’t work well. I push the feathers in and lightly smooth them out. I found wetting my fingers helped sometimes. I let the glue set up (it doesn’t need to be completely cured, just stiff enough to hold). If the feathers need to be slightly moved a little water on my fingers allowed this. Then let it cure and coat again. Now after its cured again just finish with the rest of the bow.

I am finishing with tru-oil. Multiple coats and always hand rubbed.

the chronograph results
Name: 509 gr Arrow Hickory Thin Flat Bow
Notes: 6-21 fast flight
Shots: 5
Average: 149 ft/s
SD: 2 ft/s
Min: 147 ft/s
Max: 152 ft/s
Spread: 5 ft/s
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 50# Thinner Hickory Flat bow
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 12:23:04 am »
Don, you are turning into a bow building animal. Well done.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 02:18:18 am »
I'd be careful concentrating the bend so much. You can see that the spot you wrapped is working too hard. More bend mid limb to tips would spread the load out a lot.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:22 pm »
I really like the overall weathered look
the feathers, heat threating and the repair also add character to the whole

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 01:52:30 pm »
I think those turkey feathers are awesome. What a great idea.
Bellaire, MI