Author Topic: Best Design for White Birch?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Obese Mongeese

Best Design for White Birch?
« on: June 16, 2021, 08:54:38 pm »
I've recently split myself a few white birch staves from a relatively big tree. Before digging into one I wanted to know what design suits it best. I've found some answers such as making it very overbuilt but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you

Offline willie

Re: Best Design for White Birch?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 02:23:07 am »
those split straighter than the one we have here, nice!  getting the bark off soon helps with birch. not sure any particular design is better than another, but an overbuilt bow can be overbuilt by being longer than normal, so a traditional longbow might be easier than going wide

Offline Obese Mongeese

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 09:52:04 am »
Good, with longbows I can get more bows out of each stave. I think I'll start wih that design. :BB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 10:32:11 am »
I'd suggest a long, wide overbuilt bow as per Paul Comstock. Two inches wide out 3/4 the limb then taper to the tips. If you find the limbs are getting too thin you can reduce the width a bit by tillering from the sides.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:03:09 am »
VERY cool!  Be interesting to see what you come up with.
1’—>1’

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:15:23 am »
Draw length, and poundage would help . I have made  quite a few bows from Birch. 58 to 62 inches long, and 35 to 47 lbs. at 25 inches of draw. I made mine 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches at the fades to  to 1/2 to 5/8 at the tips. Straight taper. Over all average  bow weight with the string is 15 to 16 ozs. when finished.  Handles are 4 to 4,and 1/2 inches long non working with slightly flipped tips that end up zero to 1 inch of reflex. Put on a form , and heated treated, and then more heat treat during the tillering process. 8 strand D97 string. They draw smooth. The last one I made at 38 lbs 25 inches of draw with a 400 gr. arrow shot  151 fps average. It is a soft hard wood, and easy to work with, but dings easily. Not as durable as Hickory, Elm , Osage etc, because of it's properties, but can make a good bow. As Pat B said make the first couple Paul Comstock style.

Offline Obese Mongeese

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »
Thanks Bassman. I saw your birch bow posts and I must say they are gorgeous. I draw to 28" and I like 'em in the upper fifties.  I will definitely heat treat the birch.