Author Topic: Tru-Oil longevity  (Read 8750 times)

Offline PeteC

Tru-Oil longevity
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:13:08 am »
I've been using Tru-Oil to finish my bows for the last 7 or 8 years,like many of you do.It makes for a great water-resistant finish,thats only weakness,as for as I see,is contact with insect repellant.A small bottle will afford enough 10 coat treatments to finish many bows.The last bottle I bought back in february,is still half full.I put a first coat on a new bow last evening.I went out this morning to apply a second coat,but it was still tacky.The RH for our area is no higher than normal,in fact I've applied it while it was raining outside without a problem.Have any of you ever experienced a "short shelf-life",with Tru-Oil? Appeciate any comments, Thanks, and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Tru-Oil longevity
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:37:46 am »
I've experienced that same thing before, I guess it gets old after being opened awhile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:44 am »
I store all my finishes upside down once its been opened, I was taught this trick by a painter. Of course a bottle of tru-Oil
rarely lasts me more than a few months.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:57 pm »
I do what Dana said and have never had a problem with shelf-life.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:21:30 pm »
   When I use Tru-Oil I put a little in a small container and close the bottle up. This way the remainder is not subject to evaporation.      Before I started doing this I would open a half bottle of Tru-Oil and there would be a skin over it.  I do believe that there is a shelf life for Tru-Oil.   You may haver to wipe it down with 0000steel wool and start over with a fresh bottle.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »
Pat turn it upside down and there won't be a skin on it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 04:19:31 pm »
  I keep all my spray finishes, glue and true oil in the refridgerator in my shop.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

DBernier

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 05:00:40 pm »
Like Eddie I keep all my spray and oil finishes in a small shop refrigerator, inverted. The tru-oil I have always stored upside down. I usually take a small amount out and recap the can with a foil seal and store it. It has lasted a long time.

Dick

BTW its good to be back. It has been a hellish two months with my best friend dieing etc., etc.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 05:05:14 pm »
Good to see you back, Dick.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 05:06:47 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly.

Dick

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 05:24:08 pm »
I'm now using a hand rubbed Poly-eurethane finnish on my bows. Seems to work real well and seals the bows up from the the elements. Plus, I think it may be more resistant to moisture than True oil and it dries in less time.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 05:36:27 pm »
I don't know about shelf life but I am using some now from a few old gun refinishing kits that I had. The rest of the stuff in the kits is no good but the Tru oil still works good. The kits are probably 20 years old. There was a thin skim on top but I removed it and it's good to go. David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 06:16:05 pm »
Whats the temp where you are? Read the back it specifies a temp range that it must be at to set up and dry out at.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 03:14:17 pm »
Thanks for the info fellas.I think I figured out the problem.I was pouring a little Tru-oil into a small cup,applying it to the bow,then pouring it back into the bottle.So evidently pouring the "evaporated"  ,(or funkified),material back in the bottle was probably contaminating it pre-maturely.The first coat eventually set up in 2 days,so I wooled it off,and started with fresh Tru-oil.I won't be so dang cheap in the future to save a few drops. Thanks again , PeteC            God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 05:36:38 pm »
I store my tru oil in a glass bottle with a good fitting lid out of the sun. Might be extreme but don't have any problems.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956