Author Topic: Tiller style vs performance  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Kidder

Tiller style vs performance
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:11:23 am »
Two interrelated questions. Is there any difference in performance depending on the “style” of tiller? What I mean is that if a bow tends to be more elliptical tillered, or stiffer tips, or more circular etc, does it in any way effect performance compared with an equivalent weight/materials etc bow that has a different tiller?
Secondly, I’m finishing up what is a very nice shooter BBO (speedwise) that maintains over an inch of backset after 100 arrows and a handful of hours of sweating. Although this bow shoots very fast, it also has higher hand shock than I am used to and after the shot the string “twangs” for a second or two. If I were to work the tips a little I would imagine it would help with the hand shock and string vibration, but would I expect to lose much in the way of performance?
Thanks!

bownarra

Re: Tiller style vs performance
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:13:05 am »
Yes it matters! In fact matching tiller shape to limb width profile is probably the most important concept to master. Once you have mmastered it you can tiller any bow with any profile.
Absolutely it affects performance and, as important, the feel of the bow.
Handshock is normally nothing to do with 'big' tips. It is either one limb out of sync with the other or incorrect tiller shape.
The elbs that I make a lot of to sell are one of the 'worst' designs out there for being picky about limb shape/tiller and or limb balance one to the toher as they are so long. They have been my teacher over the years!
A bow can still be fast and have handshock, finding the cause will give you a longer lasting, nicer shooting fast bow

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:22 am »
Handshock and noise? How's the limb timing? That's where I'd look first. If it's spot on you'll have a little more leeway with other things, including tiller shape. And the converse of that is... if it's off, it'll allow less leeway and can magnify the effects of other factors, like tiller shape.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 09:33:50 am »
As to the first question yes, the "style" of bow has an impact IMO.  But build enough of these, and you find that everything we do has a yin and a yang.  Adding a little more "A" means giving up a bit of "B".  Setback handles give early string tension.  At the expense of potentially ending with more set unless you go a little wider.  Now your a bit heavier.  Narrow and thicker is lighter, but you may need to go a little longer to compensate, or once again you lose what you started with.  I have made nearly every style of self bow there is, and I find something of merit in all of them.  Some are rocket launchers, but may be less accurate for you.  Some are slower than others but whisper quiet and deadly accurate.  Some, you didn't account for the tradeoffs and they are neither of these things.  Experience with these things will give you your answers.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 11:05:23 am »
Is there any particular tiller shape that the flight shooters aim for? In other words what tiller shape is going to lead to the fastest bow? Thanks for the input so far guys - lots to think about.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:19:51 pm »
Is there any particular tiller shape that the flight shooters aim for? In other words what tiller shape is going to lead to the fastest bow? Thanks for the input so far guys - lots to think about.

This is a great question. Hopefully someone that goes to the shoots can answer.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 02:16:46 am »

Yes, as I said above, the tiller shape is detemined by the width taper - there is only one correct tiller shape for each design. Find it and you have the fastest bow of that style. Once you've made enough bows and got them dead on right - you will see that design only makes a limited difference. Tiller all the different styles perfectly....you'll see that there isn't that much between most 'normal' designs.
If you haven't yet read the chapter in the TBB that is all about this stuff.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 07:26:35 am »
For every person that says long stiff tips are best for speed, there will be someone else saying whip tillered is best.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 09:13:38 am »
Like Mike said.Make a bunch of a style of bow.Zero in on the right way to taper and tiller it.You won't be disappointed.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed