Author Topic: which bow would shoot harder  (Read 1648 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

which bow would shoot harder
« on: June 10, 2021, 03:56:17 am »
a bow with 2 inches string follow(from shooting) that started out even,,, or a bow with 2 inches of heat induced string follow that started out even??
would the bow with induced string follow be less likely to take set,,

Offline Morgan

Re: which bow would shoot harder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 04:24:31 am »
That’s a good question. What do you think?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 04:29:42 am »
Sort answer:- Duno  ::)
Long answer:- I'd guess the bow with the heated in deflex would be maybe marginally better... assuming they are the same draw weight at the same draw length and of the same wood.
I don't think there would be much difference as the force draw curve would be very similar. I'd also guess it would be impossible to get an accurate result by experiment as the experimental error would likely mask any actual design difference.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 08:07:20 am »
I agree with Del.  If it was built appropriately narrower I expect the second might shoot better. 

If the only difference is how the string follow got there I think the one with the heat would shoot better at first because the wood is in better shape.

I also think that if a bow has 2" string follow and you build an identical bow with the same wood and heat bend in 2" string follow it will take at least another inch.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 10:35:36 am »
ive never tried it but was just thinking about it,, would be nice to make one with heated string follow,, or deflex and shoot it though the chrono, just to see,
i was thinking like Tradcraftsman  and think it might take more set, but I dont know,, lot of varieables so hard to guess for me,, ok so if it took one inch of set, that would still be less than the bow with 2 inches string follow,, maybe performance would be a wash,, it would be under less stress when braced??

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 10:39:15 am »
Shoot a banjo if it has a shootable string on it, im purty sure.

Prolly would'nt matter a bit as long as they don't change brace much or pull weight but even if they did, a good shooter can feel it quickly and make a shot adjustment.

HH~
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:16:36 am by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:39:38 am »
+1 Del.  I can't say for certain but, I would guess that the bow that had taken set would be marginally heavier that the it's heated in deflex sister, and as such, would be marginally slower.  All things equal.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 09:17:19 am »
Whats better a big slow bullet or a light fast bullet? Which kills better.? . . .?  Right, They both kill like a stone hammer. Or, which is a worse? A screaming fast miss or bone crushing slow miss. . . . ? Guess it's how you look at it, right? Hard or slow you got to hit em flush to knock the dust off em.

HH!
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 09:03:21 am »
l would think that the one with heat induced string follow would perform better as the cellular makeup of the bellywood remains undamaged. Although the profiles may be identical, set induced string follow means the bellywood has been compromised.
Dave