Author Topic: Questions about reverse bracing for heat treating  (Read 1488 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Questions about reverse bracing for heat treating
« on: June 08, 2021, 10:36:53 am »
Hi, all.  I want to heat treat some reflex into a hickory flat bow, and I think reverse bracing would be the best way for me to do it.   So you know where I'm at, my bow is long-string tillered, bending well and evenly.  I haven't braced it yet.  I plan to dry-heat in some reflex then rawhide back it before final tillering.  I'd like to try for about 2-3" of reflex.

I feel like I understand heat treating pretty well, but reverse bracing has me a bit baffled.  Do I simply string the bow backward at a very low brace height?  Someone mentioned using a long string instead.  How does that work?  Should I use wire instead of a string so the heat doesn't break the string?  What do I do about the nocks, since they are of course pointed the wrong direction for reverse brace?

Could someone talk me through this, or point me to a good resource?   :o

Thanks!!!

Thomas

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Questions about reverse bracing for heat treating
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:43:23 am »
Thomas, I've only heat treated and reflexed using a caul. When I heat treat using a caul I clamp the bow at the handle and work out each limb clamping as I go . I may be wrong but reverse bracing without any other support seems to me there is a chance of uneven bending results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:00:34 am »
I think there's a potential problem with reverse brace!
Presumably you can't heat the entire bow evenly all at once... thus the area that gets above 100 degrees C first will take up all the bend and screw up the shape!
I think it need clamping to a form/caul, or to a straight edge and then once hot maybe slip a 1/2" block under the grip?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 11:58:57 am »
I always heat the part that needs the most bend for precisely that reason.  Sometimes I tighten the string before I start on the second limb.

You have to tie on temporary knocks or tie the string on tight to the bow.  Using a long string helps to keep the string more perpendicular to the limb so it has less tendency to come off the knocks.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:41:29 pm »
Agree with Del and Pat. Not using a caul and clamps can cause all kinds of problems. A simple 2x shaped as you wish, and a few clamps is cheap, easy and nearly fool proof.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:44:23 pm »
Yea, but what is the right shape? 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:53:24 pm »
Pretty much what ever you want it to be. From a gentle sweep to radical hooks. Just depends on what you want.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 10:28:21 pm »
For a straight line reflexed bow very little if any at all out of the fades then with a gradual increase out to the tips.The majority of the reflex is put in from midlimb out to the tips.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:44:39 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 11:48:08 pm »
OK, thanks for the info, guys.  I decided to just make a simple caul from a 2x4 and do it the easy way.  Might be interested in doing it more primitively in the future--reverse bracing, or go full Clay Hayes and hang it over a pit of coals with a weight on the handle.

Anyway, got out and cooked some wood this evening.  Will let it cool overnight, and do the other limb tomorrow.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour