Author Topic: Ash bow  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
Ash bow
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:58:40 pm »
Any body ever use ash for bows? I have a couple smaller trees in my back yard that I'm going to cut any way. Never messed with it before.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Ash bow
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 07:44:31 pm »
Used to be the best wood I could get. Make the bow 2-1/2" wide at the fade and 66" ntn for a 28" draw. I used a straight side taper from the fades to a 1/2" wide nock and 1/2-9/16 thick everywhere on the limb.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 11:09:50 am »
Thanks Jim.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:30:29 am »
Just finished one, going to put some finishing today!
It was all I could get before I discovered a elm forest 40 km from my house!
It’s a nice wood to work with, it can have some character and it’s hard wood.
This one was cut in 2018, it’s 64 or 65 inches ntn, 3 inches fades and 4 inches handle. Almost straight taper from 2 and something inches fade to 7 mm nocks. It pulls 64 pounds at my 25,5 inches draw
It’s a nice shooter.
I am talking about a kind of European ash (fraxinus angustifolia) don’t know about American ash

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 11:47:53 pm »
Thanks Jipso
God Bless
Butch
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Victor

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 03:29:55 am »
This is good wood. Reacts well to heat treatment.

Offline diliviu

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 06:54:27 am »
I have used a few ash saplings. Good wood
What I had was really elastic in tension and moderately elastic in compression. This is why, and not having a wide experience in bow making, I tended to underbuild a little the ash bows that I made (except for the last one - lesson learned maybe).
Also, compared to other woods I used, the ash I used seemed quite light (in terms of physical weight) for the stiffness.

From the 5 ash selfbows I made, 4 took set visibly and 2 developed a few thinny frets. All 4 were a little underbuilt in my opinion.
One (the last I made) took no visible set (and no frets, of course).
The only ash backed bow I made, 34 lb only, had no set and no chrysals (despite having draw length to ntn length ratio a little over 1/2; bendy handle).
No ash bow broke.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:32:16 am by diliviu »

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 10:52:28 pm »
Appreciate all the reply's.
God Bless
Butch
- Erastus Wiman