Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Asiatic Composite Build-Along

<< < (2/11) > >>

G Doane:
seems that the horn should cover the splice at the siyah, no ??
only having read about building such a bow it seems that would make sense.

tom sawyer:
Glen I wish I had enough length to do that.  But I made the siyah with an arch (top center) from the beginning of the splice, so it is going to be pretty stiff in that glue line.  My thinking is that I'll only get bend up to the siyah and not into it.  I'm going to wrap the spot pretty thick with sinew to try and bolster things, but I may glue a little something on the belly side of the splice first.  I have the really bumpy parts of both of these horn "quarters", I could always make them flat and use them there.  I cut them off the pieces originally because there won't be much thickness by the time I flatten them.  Might be just the thing to glue on the v-splices.

As for why I glued the horn on first, I have several reasons.
1.  I think that is the way the tradtitional composite bowyers do it.  Gotta think they've got it figured out.  Correct me if I'm wrong on this being the order of events in a typcial Asiatic construction.

2.  Its easier to glue strips on a flat (width and length) surface.  I see the glue lines here as being a potential weak link, especially with the use of horn strips.  I was told this can be done though.

3.  I felt like by gluing the horn on the straight core, I was "splitting the difference" in terms of stress on back vs/ belly.  If I glued the horn on a pre-reflexed core, or one with induced reflex from sinew, I would be putting even more stress on the horn when I draw the bow.  Again, my horn is somewhat thin by horn bow standards and the splice thing doesn't help its strength I'm sure.  I'm not going to try for too much refelx in my sinew job either.  I'm going with rather mild specs for my first try.

4.   In gluing horn first, and then sinewing, I can round the sides with sinew and shape the bow nicely.  I'll probably round the edge of the core, and then run a thin layer of sinew over the sides and to the edge of the horn.

huntersim:
Thanks. Having never built an Asiatic bow before I had no clue.

I've talked to a few guys that make plains style horn bows and they sinew first, then add the horn. Thats why I asked.

tom sawyer:
You might ask them why they do it that way.  I guess its no huge deal either way.  Probably get more reflex without the horn.  But I'm going to backstring this thing to get a bit more than I otherwise would.

huntersim:
The reason is twofold from what I understand. Using a stave of wood for the core they can adjust tiller after the sinew is applied. Also, they can judge weight with the early tiller before they glue the horn on.

It looks good so far. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version