Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Asiatic Composite Build-Along

(1/11) > >>

tom sawyer:
Thimo gave me the bug to try one of these things.  Its a composite with gemsbok horn belly, bamboo core, sinew backing, black walnut handle and siyahs.

First I made myself a 36" bamboo slat, about 3/16" thick.  Then I made the black walnut siyahs, about 8" long and at a modest 30 degree angle.  I spliced them to the core with a 4" v-splice using resorcinol.  Then I glued a walnut reverse handle on the core and put a little backset in it while I was at it.  This is a typical construction.

I procured a gemsbok horn and unfortunately when I was flattnening the halves it split on me.  So I cut it in fourths, giving me skinny strips when processed.  I got the idea to cut the strips in two and spliced them on the working limb only.  This way I could use only two of the four strips I got from that horn.  You only need horn on the working limbs so I had enough.  I mostly prepped the horn strips with the belt sander, and glued them on the limbs with resorcinol.

That's where I'm at now.  The horn strip glueup is drying tonight, tomorrow I'll be ready to sinew.  I'll reverse string it a bit to get the sinew going in the right direction.  I plan to make sinew strips like the Korean bowyers make, and apply them to the back.  I'll probably also round the edges of the back of the core, to give it a less square appearance.  I'm going to go heavy on the sinew, and comb it fine before I use it.  I already have a bunch processed.

Here's some pics.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/62tomsawyer/Asiatic%20Composite%20Bow/

Justin Snyder:
Thanks for posting it. I realy enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest. Justin

ratty:

--- Quote from: tom sawyer on October 02, 2006, 12:39:30 am ---Thimo gave me the bug to try one of these things.  Its a composite with gemsbok horn belly, bamboo core, sinew backing, black walnut handle and siyahs.

First I made myself a 36" bamboo slat, about 3/16" thick.  Then I made the black walnut siyahs, about 8" long and at a modest 30 degree angle.  I spliced them to the core with a 4" v-splice using resorcinol.  Then I glued a walnut reverse handle on the core and put a little backset in it while I was at it.  This is a typical construction.

I procured a gemsbok horn and unfortunately when I was flattnening the halves it split on me.  So I cut it in fourths, giving me skinny strips when processed.  I got the idea to cut the strips in two and spliced them on the working limb only.  This way I could use only two of the four strips I got from that horn.  You only need horn on the working limbs so I had enough.  I mostly prepped the horn strips with the belt sander, and glued them on the limbs with resorcinol.

That's where I'm at now.  The horn strip glueup is drying tonight, tomorrow I'll be ready to sinew.  I'll reverse string it a bit to get the sinew going in the right direction.  I plan to make sinew strips like the Korean bowyers make, and apply them to the back.  I'll probably also round the edges of the back of the core, to give it a less square appearance.  I'm going to go heavy on the sinew, and comb it fine before I use it.  I already have a bunch processed.

Here's some pics.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/62tomsawyer/Asiatic%20Composite%20Bow/

--- End quote ---

excellent  ;D  i cant wait to see the finished bow :) :) :)

tom sawyer:
I don't know if this orientation of horn will work, its a gamble.  I do have the strength of resorcinol glue going for me, I'll go with hide glue on my next attempt at one of these.

I got the clamps off this morning and cleaned everything up on the belt sander.  I posted one additional pic of the horn strips on the belly, nothing specatular but just documenting the process.  Next up, sinew.  Then the hard part, waiting for that to dry/cure.

I also have to make something for the belly side of the handle, since I didn't run horn over it.  I may use wood for that area.  It definitely needs to be reinforced as it is skinnier thn the limbs and right now it appear that it'll be the weakest part of the bow.  A nice stiff piece of wood, or maybe some cow horn that I have.

huntersim:
Good idea using the horn the way you did TS. I don’t think it was a gamble at all.

If you don’t mind me asking, why did you choose to glue the horn first and then sinew?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version