Author Topic: Snake skin storage  (Read 2445 times)

gutpile

Re: Snake skin storage
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 03:31:33 pm »
on the tanned skins the scales were gone but very proud almost sticking out .. but after soaking and wringing they laid flat like a fresh skin.. on fresh skins I just glue them up with scales on.. after it dries and I rasp edges I take masking tape and just lay it on the skins and pull off the scales that way.. scraping can damage skins but every now and them I'll have a scale that clings to life... I'll pick it off .. you can see the scales holding on pretty easy once the majority come off.. the skins pop more with scales off more brilliant.. gut

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 06:21:35 pm »
Now I just have to make a bow worthy of some skins
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 07:40:24 pm »
Duct tape has more stickum and will really remove the scales well.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 08:43:46 pm »
I use the blue painters tape masking tape to remove the scales; I always worry the duct tape will stick to the skin where scales have already been removed and damage the skin somehow.  I want to add the "lazy-man's/procrastinator's method" that I find myself using more and more often...because sometimes folks are pressed for time.  I skin, scrape the fat, and tack about 1/2 the snakes I get as soon as I get them.  Sometimes, especially when I'm trying to catch up on a lot of work around the house, I'll thaw out any snakes I've been given that are frozen or that I didn't have time to mess with and just threw in the freezer and when they are thawed, I'll cut them with scissors up the belly center, skin them, and then wrap the skin onto a stick that's about 5" longer than the skin is wide.  I will stretch the skin out flat as I roll it as tightly as possible onto the stick and onto itself.  Once on the stick, I wrap it with a paper towel and use a sharpie to lable the type and length and make any notes about the condition of the skin.  Take that and stick it in a ziplock and throw it back in the freezer.  I'll do this with fresh snakes too...any snakes if I do not have time to properly take them from snake to skin to tacked to dry in one go.  When I need a skin, I just thaw one out, wash it with dawn, scrape the fat off, tack it up,  let it dry out, then rehydrate with water and dawn again and rinse.  I can't tell any difference between ones I take care of immediately and the ones I deal with after thawing back out. 

As far as the one with odor...yup, you have to pick up a roadkill really soon after it's demise for it not to get to stinking pretty bad.  I picked up a fairly fresh, super long, incredibly beautiful bull snake two summers ago...and it was RIPE!  I had to give it a go, though, and it was all I could do to get it skinned, scraped, and tacked up without puking.  I swallowed at least one fly and had others crawling on my face and trying to go up my nostrils as I worked.  I gave it a good washing in dawn and warm water and actually poured some dead downwind detergent and scent killer into the mix.  I then tacked it up and dried it.  It still had some funkiness to it once it dried, so I washed it in dawn again, tacked it back up, and left it out in the sun for several days.  It eventually did not smell anymore, and it backed a bow I made for my dad just fine and dandy.  Unfortunately, my dad was showing it off to my uncle (probably had a couple of drinks together, as they don't see each other but once or twice a year) and he strung it backwards with a stringer and snapped the upper limb.  While he destroyed the limb, the snakeskin stayed perfectly intact, so you can definitely get a great backing skin off a stinky snake if its not too far gone and you can stomach the process.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 08:51:32 pm »
Here's a pic of the putrid bull snake skinned bow.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 10:00:31 am »
I have used duct tape for years, it has never damaged a skin or even stuck any tighter than painters tape. I put it on, force it down with my thumb over the area I am removing scales from and pull it right back up, a 10 second operation. It won't get all the scales so I use a small piece of it like blotter and pick up the random scales the first pass missed.

I gave duct tape a try one day when I ran out of painters tape, it was so superior at removing scales I never went back to blue tape.

Very effective;

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:07:03 am by Eric Krewson »

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 12:04:51 pm »
I've used duct tape before too... as long as skin has thoroughly dried works great too.. I mainly use the blue painters tape.. it does take a lot more tape though.. gut

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 04:46:56 pm »
Going to switch to the duct tape then.