Author Topic: Too much character for reflex/recurve?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Jon_W

Re: Too much character for reflex/recurve?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 04:53:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice, the wood has held up so far at farther draw lengths and taken some set. HH, I am planning on heat treating the belly and once I do that I can't do much else for reflex or recurves so I want to make sure I've got it all planned out before I do that.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline bassman211

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 05:54:47 pm »
Most guys on here make premium recurves with premium wood to get a premium bow. If your tips line up with your riser, and the bow strings straight, tiller it to your draw length , and leave well enough alone. Even if you have a little string follow it still should make a nice shooting bow, and save you grief. Been their,done that.

Offline airkah

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 06:55:58 pm »
I think the propeller twist you are seeing is alignment related and the recurves would only make it worse unless you devote some time towards getting the tip alignment perfect.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 07:01:38 pm »
I had a hhb bow at 66". It was shooting great. I tried dry heat to recurve it and broke it so I shortened it. Retillered and got it shooting again. Thought maybe I'll recurve it with steam. Broke it again. I wound up with a 48" 50# bow. I overdrew it just a little to far one day
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 09:40:19 am »
Good advice given.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 10:57:40 am »
Thanks all, I won't be recurving this bow then! I'll try that on another one once I get there. Hopefully I can finish it soon!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson