Author Topic: It's Spring again  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Stoker

It's Spring again
« on: May 22, 2021, 02:06:25 pm »
     Last evening I was walking my dog on the path behind my house. I live in the city. There was this young fella standing with a 5 gal pail and a cell phone recording something. The closer I got to him, I noticed a porcupine by a tree. Fair enough buddy is having a natural moment. What's with the fiver? I say Hi how's it going. Nice porcupine. Then he points out the baby one by the tree. only a day or two old. Turns out He saw the baby yesterday evening and the mother was gone and didn't come back for two hours. As he sat there and watched the wee one. Call fish and wildlife and finds out where to find a shelter for the baby. Now I know what the five gal pail is for. We talk for a bit, he is wondering if mom has brought food for the little one, as he doesn't see anything she brought. I remind him about mammals.
     I have listened to his concerns. I explain how the system works. Mothers will hide their young when they go foraging for food. They return and feed. Sometimes a first time mother may not be as attentive as she should be. Law of the woods. I explain to him that he should back up about another 30 yards to give space, that he was creating stress to mom. It's ok to observe from a safe distance.
     How many times do you here stories on the news about city people rescuing baby animals, by finding them and waiting a hour or so and don't see mom. Mom is watching you, only they are to unaware to see her as she is hiding. Leave well enough alone, unless there is a great amount of stress on the young one. Is mom dead and laying there? Figure it out. Sometimes people drive me nuts. I hope he made the right decision.

Sorry about the rant. Thanks for listening
Leroy   
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: It's Spring again
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:17:52 pm »
You'd think city critters would be used to humans.  At least the guy was trying to help rather than pester it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 11:33:48 pm »
I deal with "rescued" babies all the time. *sigh*
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 08:02:48 am »
     Last evening I was walking my dog on the path behind my house. I live in the city. There was this young fella standing with a 5 gal pail and a cell phone recording something. The closer I got to him, I noticed a porcupine by a tree. Fair enough buddy is having a natural moment. What's with the fiver? I say Hi how's it going. Nice porcupine. Then he points out the baby one by the tree. only a day or two old. Turns out He saw the baby yesterday evening and the mother was gone and didn't come back for two hours. As he sat there and watched the wee one. Call fish and wildlife and finds out where to find a shelter for the baby. Now I know what the five gal pail is for. We talk for a bit, he is wondering if mom has brought food for the little one, as he doesn't see anything she brought. I remind him about mammals.
     I have listened to his concerns. I explain how the system works. Mothers will hide their young when they go foraging for food. They return and feed. Sometimes a first time mother may not be as attentive as she should be. Law of the woods. I explain to him that he should back up about another 30 yards to give space, that he was creating stress to mom. It's ok to observe from a safe distance.
     How many times do you here stories on the news about city people rescuing baby animals, by finding them and waiting a hour or so and don't see mom. Mom is watching you, only they are to unaware to see her as she is hiding. Leave well enough alone, unless there is a great amount of stress on the young one. Is mom dead and laying there? Figure it out. Sometimes people drive me nuts. I hope he made the right decision.

Sorry about the rant. Thanks for listening
Leroy
That is what happens when well meaning people that are disconnected or uneducated from and about mother nature and their surroundings impose unrealistic human standards on animals.PETA is an example.
An injured animal rescue is a different story,or a human interfereance situation.
Life can be cruel and wonderful at the same time.I'm speaking from a lifetime of working with animals and hunting and fishing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 05:37:08 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 11:24:54 am »
   I know people are people. It just frustrates me that a hipster and a cell phone with "good intentions" does damage.
The good news, mama is still hanging around that big old willow tree. So maybe just maybe, someone listened. I can see the tree from the top of the hill behind my house. I haven't gone to close to the tree. 
   The natural area was a one of the reasons we bought a house there. Deer, birds and a creek does it get better in town. I have 2 garter snakes that spend a lot of time in my garden eating pests. I've taught my grandsons what berries and edibles you can eat. The good with the bad.....
Thanks Leroy 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 12:53:50 am »
Yes it's fun and interesting to watch wildlife.A great past time.I watch from my house many times too.I let my garders do what they want too.I try not to mow over them.Robin has them in her green house.They are a good thing.
Public property is hard to control from outsiders.Private property is a lot easier to control.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 09:56:11 am »
I live in town and have seen more wildlife from my porch than hunting in the country. Deer, Turkey, rabbits, squirrels, Groundhogs, Fox, and a whole lot of small critters. Most of the folks around know better than to mess with Mother Nature.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 05:20:37 pm »
See what happens when you sit still....ha ha.I watch flocks of turkeys and herds of deer here all because my vantage looking point is so much higher.Put a food plot or a feeder out there and I'll see coon,turkey,and deer all eating together.Then a coyote will come through and chase them all way.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:53:20 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 03:35:46 pm »
I get to see a lot of critters roaming around. I bait mule deer in my front yard with my apple tree. Nothing nicer than coming home from work and watching a couple of P&Y bucks laying on your lawn.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 06:20:07 pm »
COOL!!!!
BowEd
Ed