Author Topic: Sinew characteristics by species (elk vs. bison)  (Read 1048 times)

Offline HanibalLecter(InnerSmile)

Sinew characteristics by species (elk vs. bison)
« on: May 15, 2021, 03:40:08 pm »
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out here.

Do the characteristics of sinew vary by the animal species they came from? More specifically, are American elk sinew fibers significantly different in texture, as compared with American bison?

Why I want to know:

I processed some bison leg tendons 6 years ago. The bison sinew fibers were very fluffy and soft, like yarn, and very white. They have remained that way for 6 years unchanged.

On the other hand, I also processed elk leg tendons, and they're not fluffy, but more like fishing line or fiber optic wire. They're also a dull grey color. No matter how finely I split them, they retain these qualities.

Is this a normal observation, or is it possible that my elk fibers are degraded?

Offline PatM

Re: Sinew characteristics by species (elk vs. bison)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 04:30:50 pm »
Pretty normal.  Both types have been used with great success.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 05:07:49 pm »
I'd say your observations are exactly the same as what I've experienced. I'll take bison leg sinew over any other sinew I've worked with. I used to get bison leg sinew from an old rancher in Colorado. I wish I could still get it. Best I've ever used.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline HanibalLecter(InnerSmile)

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 05:39:02 pm »
Whew... What a relief. Thanks guys. I was thinking something was wrong with either one, but now I know. Bison sinew is amazing indeed. My impression is that the aggressively fluffy texture really helps in adhering to the bow's back. Elk tendons seem to be at least as strong though. They're tough creatures.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 04:40:47 pm »
Have you tried moose or horse yet?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed