Author Topic: Progress made. Tiller check. Elm (Updated)  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Fractured

Re: Need stave advice. Elm (Updated)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 02:04:14 am »

Been a while since my last post.  Life has gotten the best of me and I've been intentionally taking my time on this one and have been working on my workshop a bit.  Would love some tiller advice and input on how to proceed from here.

As before..  62 inches ntn, stiff 4 inch handle with no shelf, 2 inch fades, 1.5 inches at the fades and out to half limb and tapering last half of limb to 1/2 inch at tips. 

Since my last post i worked slowly to floor tiller and a bit beyond and then lightly toasted the limbs with about 2 inches of reflex.  I haven't picked a top vs bottom limb at this point.  Tips are still quite thick/wide.  In the "draw" picture on the tree its pulling at about 40 pounds.  Shooting for as close to 50# at 28 inches.  Since toasting i have not lost any reflex.  Left limb looks a little stiff to me.

Would greatly appreciate any input/advice.

Elm Tiller by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Elm Tiller by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Untitled by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Thanks all,
Fractured

Offline bpctcb

Re: Progress made. Tiller check. Elm (Updated)
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 02:49:09 am »
I’m very new to making bows but here is what I’m seeing in your pictures:
Left limb looks to have a bit less reflex than right limb.
Left limb does look a bit stiffer so it may be a bit x2 stiffer since it has less reflex.
Right limb may have a slight hinge about half way down the limb. Maybe this is why it looks weaker?

BP

bownarra

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 04:09:14 am »
At this point it would be good to narrow your outer limbs to where you intend them to be. Also remove the 'extra' thickness you have at the tips.
Yes watch that spot in the middle of the right limb. Probably need to remove some from the fade out to that point but first thing is to get the width profile finished.
Is your string touching the belly? Ideally you should have to bend the bow a little to get the string on, so that it sits taught to the belly.
Also get it pulling to 50# as soon as possible or else you risk coming in under weight.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:12:59 am by bownarra »

Offline Fractured

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 09:27:05 am »
I’m very new to making bows but here is what I’m seeing in your pictures:
Left limb looks to have a bit less reflex than right limb.
Left limb does look a bit stiffer so it may be a bit x2 stiffer since it has less reflex.
Right limb may have a slight hinge about half way down the limb. Maybe this is why it looks weaker?

BP

The right limb had more natural reflex with a lot of it coming right where that weakish spot is on the limb.  Took a lot to get that spot moving.  I will be careful of that spot.  Thanks.

Offline Fractured

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 10:00:44 am »
At this point it would be good to narrow your outer limbs to where you intend them to be. Also remove the 'extra' thickness you have at the tips.
Yes watch that spot in the middle of the right limb. Probably need to remove some from the fade out to that point but first thing is to get the width profile finished.
Is your string touching the belly? Ideally you should have to bend the bow a little to get the string on, so that it sits taught to the belly.
Also get it pulling to 50# as soon as possible or else you risk coming in under weight.

Thanks.  Wasn’t sure when exactly I should work on thinning and narrowing the tips.