Author Topic: another knife!  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Fox

another knife!
« on: May 11, 2021, 01:20:22 am »
Here's another knife my 2nd in the forge! lots of fun :) This was a kitchen knife for my pa's house... this is also from a file, it's 6" long blade, walnut, and antler handle... this one turned out much more how I wanted, the bevels were more flat too. I really need to get a belt sander :-\

I think I tempered it a little bit too soft, that's a hard part for me telling when to stop, this was a straw color with swirls of purple in it

So tangs... all the tangs I've been doing I just hammer out to a small squire 4" long tang for a hidden tang. It takes me forever to drill holes in the wood handle to get the tang to fit right... I feel like knives without a hidden tang where the metal is all a part of the handle and you rivet wood/bone or whatnot on seems like a far stronger handle... but I'm not sure how to do that... what's your great smiths' thoughts on tangs? any advice?

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

Re: another knife!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 01:23:30 am »
I would love to see pics of some of ya'lls forges too... I'm still trying to work out some issues and would love to see some set up forges

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 12:12:31 pm »
Fox, do you have a scraper for the hidden tangs?  You can make some easily enough once you get a look at them.

Here's a thread on the topic from another forum, there's some good pictures in there to give you the idea.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48878
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 02:04:04 pm »
Fox,
I am not a blade smith, but I have hafted a few blades.  The easiest way is to make the haft as long as needed, drill or punch the holes, then mark and drill the scales for pins or rivets.  You can also make a longer tang, and drill a through hole in the handle material and either use a cap screw, or peen the tang over to hold everything tight.  Then shape the handle to suit.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:34:34 pm »
Fox, do you have a scraper for the hidden tangs?  You can make some easily enough once you get a look at them.

Here's a thread on the topic from another forum, there's some good pictures in there to give you the idea.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48878

Oh I don’t .... that looks like a very handy tool!!

Hawkdancer... those are some good ideas thanks ! :)