Author Topic: Shavings  (Read 1890 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Shavings
« on: May 01, 2021, 05:57:39 am »
Here's a months worth of pulling bark/chasing sapwood and rings on around 20 staves.7' wide bucket.Red mulberry,osage,and black locust.Staying ahead of bow making to let staves season.Now the bucket is empty so I can get my 2022 firewood for the house.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 06:33:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Shavings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 07:23:18 am »
I usually bag mine up and give it to my buddy who makes maple syrup. He loves it for getting fire started.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:07:05 am »
Purdy good. Just did a 2020 load. Had area I'de say about calf deep. But Pappy kept at em for fire stater every week. Goes quick as fire starter when its damp out. That will keep yer upper body tough as squirrel backstrap and hind quarters I can tell you that.

Shawn~!
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 09:27:52 am »
I had some down time awhile back from some surgery, I couldn't do any heavy lifting or bow pulling so to keep myself sane I started grabbing random billets out of my stash and spliced them together to make bow blanks. I still l have a pile of osage bow blanks, this was not top notch wood but made OK bow blanks and gave me something to do. I picked billets that were already down to one ring on the back.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:37:40 am »
There's a fella in a nearby town with a meat preperation & smoking business he calls "the smoke shed" that comes by to pick a lot of this stuff up.He likes hickory the best though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 10:18:46 am »
Hickory is good for a lot of smoking but a little bit of hedge does well when smoking brisket.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 10:30:14 am »
I'll remember that Paul.
BowEd
Ed

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:43:44 am »
Nice stash of shavings. I was in a motorcycle accident a couple years ago and the doc suturing my hand commented on how she was having a difficult time sewing me up because of all the callouses... Thats what shaving osage will get ya!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 09:42:02 pm »
Yes it's a blessing seeing thin sapwood and nice rings right up on top on any hardwood.
Last few years here have been dry and it shows on the ring thickness.I usually had to chase a few rings off of heartwood besides the sapwood to get to a nice ring.1 ring at a time to avoid any tear outs.I hate that.
I've still never have sharpened my draw knife overall.I do keep the outside 2" sharper and the middle dull yet.
Digging out slivers afterwards is part of the routine too.It's all worth it though.I feel richer when I get em done.
BowEd
Ed