Author Topic: Old Man's Holmegaard replica bow  (Read 10439 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Old Man's Holmegaard replica bow
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2021, 10:50:34 am »
old man, don't burn your bow. Enjoy it in good health.
If the originals are in fragments we certainly don't know the tillers they had.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2021, 12:06:23 pm »
I think the important thing to remember is that the originals where probably built to maximize cast, minimize breaking, shoot straight, etc.  That is easily the most important part to copy.  If you get that right you have a pretty good replica. 

Think how the original bowyer thought, work in similar scenarios and with similar tools, and assuming you and he are both competent bowyers the results will be pretty close. There is more than one right answer, but really not to many more in a given context.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 12:38:13 pm »
   if you make a bow, and you like it, then your good,
it others have a different opinion,,ok, learn from that if you want,,
  I am never completely happy with my tiller, its always a balance in keeping the wieght or bending more better, and not scraping till its a 20# bow,,
if someone thats knowledgable doesnt like the tiller,, Im gonna take that into acount,, or ignore it,, or make improvements on my next one,,
   or if Im really happy,, maybe I just dont post that one,,and just enjoy the bow myself,,maybe not in the mood for a critique,, on that one,,,
   if you post here,, people are gonna comment,,
  even though some of the comments were not positive ,, you have probably learned to look at tiller in a more open minded way, and learned from the experience, that will help your bow making in the future,, my best teachers were not shy about pointing out what needed improvement in my work,, and werent worried about offending me,,but making me aware of what I needed to work on,
    my best teacher was so harsh with his critique I said ok, I cant do this I quit, he said Ill tell you when to quit,,I continued and to this day give credit to him for my success in many areas of life,,
     you noticed no one here said you should quit,, enjoy your bow making and keep posting,,

Offline old man

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 06:36:23 pm »
comments and constructive criticism are good, but brow beating someone for ones on pleasure is another thing.

bownarra

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2021, 02:40:09 am »
Don't stress over a few comments on here! I for one am only interested in positive criticism :) We need to be able to disagree without guns being drawn :) No way to learn anything if everybody just says 'oh what a great bow' and pats you on the back for something that maybe doesn't deserve it.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2021, 09:10:18 am »
 Positive criticism Bownarra, really. You once referred to Dave Mead bows as "bamboo things". Doubt you did any research on his bows. I posted one. Got nothing positive from you. Built the bow in four hours from bamboo floor boards, and some scrap Maple. Simple material, simple design, and highly efficient. I posted it to show beginning bow makers that they could build a successful bow in short order to hunt with if they chose to.

gutpile

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2021, 09:55:34 am »
wasn't going to chime in here but I have to agree with Oldman ... "comments and constructive criticism are good.. but brow beating someone for their own pleasure is another.". respect and confidence are hard to gain but are easy to lose and can be hard to gain back , some respect was lost on this thread, hope it was worth it.... we are here to help each other and build our skills together to pass down, not to try and destroy someone who is enjoying a passion shared.. good luck to you Oldman on your next build and I hope you share your projects still ..... gut
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:20:09 am by gutpile »

Offline old man

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2021, 06:16:09 pm »
Thanks again to those who understand that not all bows are for everyone, I will say that the Holmegaard bow is not the best tillered bow that I have ever made, but again take that up with the original "old man". My son has taken several deer with my bows and river cane arrowers, stone points that I made. I don't consider myself to know much when it comes to making bows, I broke the first 22 bows that I made. My record is much better now, I have never sold one of my bows but have given 6 of them away along with several arrows, and I can count 6 of my bows where I am sitting, most of which are intended for my great grandson. The only reason that I posted the Holmegaard bow was to see if anyone else appreciated the simple designe and that after 9,000 years it can still be used to harvest a deer.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2021, 02:05:58 am »
Well put, Old Man! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2021, 03:42:00 am »
Positive criticism Bownarra, really. You once referred to Dave Mead bows as "bamboo things". Doubt you did any research on his bows. I posted one. Got nothing positive from you. Built the bow in four hours from bamboo floor boards, and some scrap Maple. Simple material, simple design, and highly efficient. I posted it to show beginning bow makers that they could build a successful bow in short order to hunt with if they chose to.

Good logic there....one negative comment means everything about me is negative :) I'm sorry I've hurt your feelings but I don't know you and you don't know me....so.....lets shake hands metaphorically and move on!
I have given plenty of good advise over the years but if you don't like it - don't read it :) Doesn't bother me :)

Offline bassman211

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2021, 05:45:41 am »
Your advice is sound according to most.. Your bows are masterful in many bow makers eyes. I know that.. Not a matter of bothering you. In that instance you were  degrading another man's bow design  by calling it a" bamboo thing" when it is time tested , and proven, and it doesn't take 2 years to make one. That my friend is not positive criticism. Just making you aware of that fact. You have not hurt me feelings at all. So we shake hands, and move on. If I like your advice I will read it ,and if not I will move on.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2021, 08:39:03 am »
Thanks again to those who understand that not all bows are for everyone, I will say that the Holmegaard bow is not the best tillered bow that I have ever made, but again take that up with the original "old man". My son has taken several deer with my bows and river cane arrowers, stone points that I made. I don't consider myself to know much when it comes to making bows, I broke the first 22 bows that I made. My record is much better now, I have never sold one of my bows but have given 6 of them away along with several arrows, and I can count 6 of my bows where I am sitting, most of which are intended for my great grandson. The only reason that I posted the Holmegaard bow was to see if anyone else appreciated the simple designe and that after 9,000 years it can still be used to harvest a deer.
It's one of the reasons why I started in the first place.I figured if a caveman could do it I surely can.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed