Author Topic: Progress made. Tiller check. Elm (Updated)  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Fractured

Progress made. Tiller check. Elm (Updated)
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:22:45 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm slowly working on reducing this stave to rough form and proceeding to floor tillering.  The limbs are just barely starting to bend at this point.  The stave is elm 63 inched ttt, slightly crowned, has a general deflex in one limb and a delex/reflex in the other limb. The less straight limb has a slight twist to it as well.  I am conflicted as to whether is should attempt to even out the limb profile with heat bending and which direction I should go or whether is should just leave it as is.  I don't have a ton of bows under my belt at this point. 

Plan for this one is 62 inches ntn, stiff 4 inch handle with no shelf, 2 inch fades, 1.5 inches at the fades and out to half limb and tapering last half of limb to 1/2 inch at tips.

Elm 1 by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 02:05:08 am by Fractured »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Need stave advice. Elm
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 08:39:30 pm »
Just cut away everything that doesn't look like a bow.  :D

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 08:43:15 pm »
I would probably try an straighten it out a bit. Definitely don’t have to but if you haven’t made many bows it’ll make the tillering process a bit easier if the limbs are even. I would start with the right limb and get a mild gentle reflex along the limb and then match the other limb to it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 08:48:08 pm »
I've only made a few elm bows but was completely impressed with it as a bow wood. I would take it to a good floor tiller stage or even first low brace then clamp it to a caul at the handle and using a heat gun(I like to use cooking oil at this point), work out each limb making corrections. In the twisted areas use small wood wedges with a clamp or 2 to correct the twist. I usually clamp every 6" to 8", depending on the limb. Be sure to pad the clamps or they will leave an indentation. Once the bow is fully clamped I go over it once more with the heat gun and thoroughly heat the limbs then let it sit overnight before removing the clamps.
 Elm reacts well to heat tempering. I do this without oil and heat to a nice chocolate brown color, clamping it to the same caul as above. I like to add about 3" to 4" of reflex at correction and tempering time. After tempering I give the bow at least a few days to rehydrate, depending on the R/H of your area at the time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 02:34:04 am »
As Ryan said :)
Do not go mad with any reflex you add. 1 inch is plenty.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 09:14:57 am »
Good advice said for you about profiling.Nice looking piece of elm.You should get 45#'s for sure at that width at 28".It all depends on what type of elm it is.Denser elm draw weight will be higher.Many different types of elm out there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Fractured

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 01:29:17 am »
Thanks a ton for the input guys!  I’m making slow progress with corrections and it’s going well so far.  Working on building a caul for reflex next.  I’ll post an update soon.  Thanks again.

Fractured

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »
ditto everything Pat said to a tee... gut

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 02:01:15 pm »
waiting on a couple to dry
Don

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 02:33:52 pm »
I had some kind of elm tree fall down in a friends yard... TONS of straight nice looking staves.......but this elm is not a good bow wood ..... it was mostly dark heartwood.... and it was really really weak... super sad cause I have so many great staves from it.... not sure what kind of elm  ???

I’ve heard it’s awesome bow wood though! I just got a bad tree I guess!
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 02:51:03 pm »
once you've split elm, even in firewood length you understand why it's good bow wood. Spliting in bow stave lenth is a combination of splitting and cutting.  You can't just split it
Don

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 07:58:13 pm »
I had some kind of elm tree fall down in a friends yard... TONS of straight nice looking staves.......but this elm is not a good bow wood ..... it was mostly dark heartwood.... and it was really really weak... super sad cause I have so many great staves from it.... not sure what kind of elm  ???

I’ve heard it’s awesome bow wood though! I just got a bad tree I guess!

Sounds like red elm, not much better than firewood in my opinion.

Great advice given so far. PatB is spot on in my opinion.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 10:49:02 pm »
once you've split elm, even in firewood length you understand why it's good bow wood. Spliting in bow stave lenth is a combination of splitting and cutting.  You can't just split it

I love American elm saplings for making bows, honestly it is probably my favorite.  That said, I don’t fool with any elm much over 4” in diameter because of this exact reason. If I was in need of bow wood and a large log is all I had available, I’d definitely torture myself with it though lol

Offline Fractured

Re: Need stave advice. Elm (Updated)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 10:53:05 pm »
I have been slowly working on this stave with a heat gun and feel like I have made good progress with corrections.  The alignment has improved and I was able to get most of the deflex out of the right limb near the fade.   Both limbs ended up with about 2 inches of reflex (if I am measuring it correctly).  Should i move on to reducing to final dimensions and tillering?  Looking for input on how things are looking.

Untitled by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Untitled by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Thanks for all the help so far.

Fractured

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Need stave advice. Elm (Updated)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 12:15:33 pm »
Great progress, keep posting pics as you go for those of us that can't read!   ;D

Nice looking bowyers bench, by the way!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.