Author Topic: Spokeahave tips?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Spokeahave tips?
« on: March 19, 2021, 02:14:46 pm »
I just finally tried to use my spokeshave yesterday and I really like it. I had to set it very fine to prevent tear out and I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to get the most out of them. I think it'll save me a lot of time on future builds if I get it down. I'm using it incombo with a draw knife to chase a ring on ERC right now but any uses and tips would be appreciated.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline RyanY

Re: Spokeahave tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 02:36:09 pm »
I have a very crappy spokeshave that is difficult to get the blade set to take an even cut so I’ll take a few shavings off a narrow piece of scrap to make sure that the depth of cut is even across the blade. I also often pull the spokeshave at an angle which can help prevent chattering. On cheap spokeshaves the blade is probably not the best steel so make sure to sharpen often. I’ve also had great success with using paste wax on the bottom of the plane which can make taking shavings exponentially easier.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:37:03 pm »
Spoke shaves need to be used where the grain is running straight or across runout in this direction → /////.

A scraper does not have these limitations.

Spoke shaves were made for rounding spokes and work best for similar jobs on bows, such as rounding edges--but you'll still get tear-out if you go the wrong way against the grain.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:32:22 pm »
https://brentbeach.ca/Sharpen/sitemap.html

somewhere at this site is everything you need to know.. years back I tuned the sole with a slight radius, and slightly reprofiled the blade with a convex radius...  100% better

when using the scary sharp methods, some folks find you do not have to get too fine with the paper, but harder grained wood and wood subject to tearout just calls for a finer more polished edge
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:38:15 pm by willie »

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 03:39:36 pm »
You should be able to shave hairs off your arm with the blade :)
As the others have said you have to pay attention to the grain regardless but a super sharp edge is your friend in this regard.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:28 pm »
So a sharp edge with the grain. I did only use it with the grain figuring it would so poorly otherwise. Thanks for the advise fellas
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 08:18:32 am »
It's worth dismantling the spokeshave and tidying it up, filing off any rough casting marks where the blade sits. There are some good Youtube vids on tuning up a spokeshave.
Don't get one with a curved sole... I bought one, spent ages fiddling and fettling... it's virtually unusable.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.