Author Topic: Osage questions  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Osage questions
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:44:55 pm »
Ok for all you hedge apple guys. I have some hedge that was cut down in September, it's been outside in log form since then, I just picked it up today. What is the best way too make sure I get some bows out of this? Seal the ends and split obviously but should I chase a ring and glue the back or leave the bark on? Also can osage be speed dried by roughing out like other woods or do I need to let it season slowly? Here is a pick of one I had to cut to fit in the truck.

In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 05:53:05 pm »
How far down the stave does that limb run? Do you have enough to cut that end off?
I would at least split or cut them in half, lengthwise, remove the bark and sapwood and seal the back and ends. You can reduce the staves to floor tiller stage for faster dry time but not near as quick as whitewood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:57:12 pm »
yep what Pat said,, nice treasure there,, :OK

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 06:31:57 pm »
X3 what Pat said.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 06:51:39 pm »
Yes pat I have enought to cut that end off. I'll get them split this week and debark and chase a ring sealing the back. Thanks for the advice gentlemen

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 07:12:30 pm »
If you have a bandsaw I'd saw the smallest in half. It looks to be about 2" to 3" in diameter. You may have to add a riser but you might get 2 staves out of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 09:21:50 pm »
If it's small enough I was thinking of picking a side to be the belly and using it for one bow. I think the smallest end is 4"

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 03:52:35 am »
With a small diameter log bandsawed in half, I would be tempted to make two "backward" bows out of them. Not good enough for Osage people?

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 05:32:16 am »
With a small diameter log bandsawed in half, I would be tempted to make two "backward" bows out of them. Not good enough for Osage people?

Why backwards?? Just make two normal bows?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 09:21:37 am »
No backwards bows, out of those logs. Split them peal the bark and sapwood and see what you have. My advice is always go safe on a log and shoot for less staves than you could possibly squeak out of a log, every time I tried to get an extra stave or two out of a log I lost more than I gained, usually with errant splits.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 10:43:31 am »
Eric I already told my wife last night I would not be trying to get extra bows out of any of this. They are pretty gnarly as is.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 10:46:21 am »
Well, I see a set of billets.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 10:57:03 am »
Idk if I'm up for trying billets yet lol but the thought has crossed my mind.

Offline scp

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:39 pm »
Why backwards?? Just make two normal bows?
Mainly because I don't have the patience to chase the ring. It's often much easier to get the flat back from a small diameter log by making a "backward" bow.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 10:11:25 am »
O the second stave from the left the best course of action for it is to cut it in two where it makes that radical twist, rotate the ends and splice it back together straight and twist free. I have done this a bunch of times, 90 degree twists will cause too much strain on the wood if you try to take them all the way out.