Author Topic: Myrtle Wood  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Myrtle Wood
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:11 pm »
Can a strong 50/60# bow be made out of myrtle wood?  I have several long 4 x 4 pieces of cured myrtle wood.  Have made every thing from a water ski to a grand mother clock out of it, but never heard of anyone using it for bow wood.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline david w.

Re: Myrtle Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:27 pm »
i think someone else asked this question but i could be wrong. i beleive the answer was yes. but i am still not sure
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:50:03 pm »
im not sure either, but whats the difference between a grandmother clock and a grand father clock?
    anyways, nothin left to do but try it i suppose- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:53:44 pm »
Grandmother clock wears a dress?
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
  What kinda Myrtle? I've made a good 60# bow out of Crape Mrytle and Thimo made a 100# +,out of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:18:09 am »
what were the demensions and profile of the crape myrtle... i have been droolng over some that would be great for splicing or take downs but have always wondered if it was wise to try it?
death by natural causes

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 10:38:19 am »
A Grand Mother clock is just smaller than a Grandfather clock and has a smaller set of clock works.  No dresses! ::)  Am thinking that maybe a bamboo backing would make myrtle wood usable for a bow?  It is an excellent turning wood and has no real visable growth rings.  It is very hard to keep from having some long time movement.  I have a couple of elm staves I got in a trade, but would like to use up some of this myrtle wood.  It is very heavy.  Please help!! Watcher

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:18:19 pm »
There is myrtle and there is myrtle. Which kind do you have? If you can find the botanical name it would help. If it is not strong enough for boo you might try hickory, elm or hard maple for a backing.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:34:29 pm »
Pat:  I did not know there were different myrtles!!  It only grows in two places on earth and can be huge trees or viney brush.  In north eastern California it is sometimes called Pepperwood.  This came from the Reedsport/Coos Bay area.  It takes a lot of drying time if not put in a kiln.  When its green it will not float.  Maybe I could put together several thin strips to make it work??  Watcher

Offline BryanB

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:34:25 pm »
Can't remember the screen name, but someone here in Oregon made a really nice bow out of Myrtle from that area of the state.
Don't remember any of the specs, but they said it was a great bow wood.
Bryan

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:33:18 pm »
granfather clock chimes, get me a beer! get me a beer! grandmother clock chimes !! get it yourself! get it yourself  ;D
                           Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:02:33 am »
Hi,  Here in California there's a tree called CA bay, or bay laurel or Oregon laurel.  There may be other names too!  I can't remember the linean binomial off the top off my head.   I have seen bows made from the stuff and it appears to work well, just treat as a white wood.  Dick Baugh has one he and Tim Baker made, that still has most of the cambium left on.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 12:04:42 am »
Whoop's I should have said Oregon Myrtel.   Still the same tree.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers