Author Topic: Learning Materials  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Learning Materials
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 01:13:38 pm »
Send me a PM, I may have some stuff good enough.

Offline scp

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 01:48:35 pm »
[....  Can't find decent, affordable staves to save my life, even on the PA forum!
Check out local sawmills for fresh cut lumbers or even whole logs. Some might even deliver. 

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 02:46:43 pm »

That's the one I'm having a hard time with.    Any help?    But mostly need some staves to scrape on.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=37895.0

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 06:38:17 pm »
...and a lot of cheap staves.
Hey man you pay for shipping I'll send you some hickory. It has bark on still was cut February 2020

That's the one I'm having a hard time with.  Can't find decent, affordable staves to save my life, even on the PA forum!  All the natural wood around here needs backed, but I really want to do a few more self bows to get my head around tillering before I try sinew.  Any help?

I've about got TBB 1 and 2 memorized.  Need to get 3 and 4.  But mostly need some staves to scrape on.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 02:46:26 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I'll be in touch.

Willie, I've been wanting to try chokecherry.  I'd have a hard time finding a straight one around here, though.  I'd rather get better at the whole process before I try a knotty, crooked piece of chokecherry.  I'll definitely keep my eyes out, though.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DSP1

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2021, 08:47:23 pm »
Thank you all for the advice and recommendations, it is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I am going to have to wait until the building is up before starting on some bows since I currently have absolutely nowhere to work on anything. Even in the house, the rooms that aren't half torn apart are full of tools and supplies. In the meantime I figure I'll read/watch as much as I can and gather useful/needed tools that I don't currently have.