Author Topic: Learning Materials  (Read 2303 times)

Offline DSP1

Learning Materials
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:43:48 pm »
I have a couple of the Bowyers bible books and plan on getting and reading all 4, are there any other books or videos you guys have found to be "must haves" or have greatly helped you out either initially or later on? There is no substitute for experience but I have always tried to learn from the mistakes of others since I'll never live long enough to make them all myself.

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Learning Materials
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:00:10 pm »
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:26 pm »
Swiftwood bows youtube. Clay hayes has a book and good youtube videos as well
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:25:58 pm »
Aside from what was already mentioned, Clay Hayes has a 3 or 4 disc video set that is basically start to finish and is very very informative. Most of it is material that is covered in other videos of his to some extent but it’s more detailed and I don’t believe it’s the same actual clips. I’ve watched it 3-4 times and am still learning a ton each time.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:16:28 pm »
I'll second the Clay Hayes videos.  I subscribe to his patreon page, but that is not necessary to access a ton of his videos showing bow building from start to finish.  Clay primarily works Osage, which I honestly think is the place to start with primitive bow building; it is plentiful if you are willing to drive and work to get it down, split, and sealed, and it is a very satisfying wood to work into a bow...and as far as bow wood goes, it is the tits.  Start with BB vol 1, and just take the time to read it from start to finish.  It can be used as a reference guide, and I use it as a reference guide all the time, but starting off by reading it from start to finish is worth the time it takes...have a highlighter handy and maybe a journal to jot down some "ah-ha" revelations.  Ten years from now, you will still be bending those pages and having "ah-ha" moments.  The other volumes are fantastic too, and they just build on and give more depth of understanding to what is in each of the other volumes.

That said, Weylin's vids are great, and he is a freaking master.  Clay's vids are different, and I think that they move along more quickly for the ADD crowd.  There is no doubt that any Jo-shmo off the street that wants to build a primitive bow could click on Clay's videos and having absolutely no clue about anything archery related, build a pretty damn good bow by simply following his instruction. 

My advice is to watch Weylin's vids, watch CLay's vids, read BB vol 1, and start making shavings pronto...dive the heck in head first.  You said it, and it is true...there is no better teacher than experience, and there is no better way to learn than by trying and failing...and no matter what happens, you will fail in some aspect of the build.  One day, my truest hope in this endeavor, is to build a bow that I can not in any way ID some aspect of a failure; it likely will never happen, but that's my goal.  In the mean time, there is tremendous beauty and joy in every bow's flaws...it makes them so freaking personal and relatable, while propelling us to make a better one next time.

Cheers, and welcome to the addiciton!

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 02:36:24 am »
Too much information from different sources can be confusing.
Just get the TBB and make some shavings :)
Learn how to match  front profile to tiller. Learn how to taper perfectly and you aren't going to be far off!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 10:06:33 am »
...and you will find all your answers right here on PA. Clay Hayes and others have excellent info but everything you want to know or need to know you can find right here amongst our members. Like bownarra said "Too much information from different sources can be confusing."
 Learn how to properly tiller a simple selfbow. Once you get that down the world is your oyster.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 11:32:24 am »
"Wooden Bows: What I Wish I'd Known When I Started (Kindle Edition)" and a lot of cheap staves. Listen to your wood. It will tell you how it wants to bend. Avoid character staves and use long and even strokes for most tillering. Hence, block planes and goose-neck scrapers.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 12:10:47 pm »
I agree with Pat and bownarra. Even here you may get several ideas about how to do the same thing.

One additional  thing I would suggest is to learn the vocabulary. We use our own vocabulary and it is important to understand.

It’s not rocket science. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years. There is no substitute for making shavings. People can explain how and it is very helpful. Until you actually try it though it can be a little difficult to understand.

If you aren’t successful in your first or even second or more attempts. Don’t get discouraged. Use them as learning experience. Post questions here and take constructive criticism without being offended. Sometimes the best advice might sting a little, but I have never seen anyone here try to be nasty. They are just trying to point out problems and cures.

Good Luck

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:29:38 pm »
but I have never seen anyone here try to be nasty. They are just trying to point out problems and cures.

Well there was that one guy...
NVM, everyone here is very helpful. (The veteran bowyers that is, though everyone at least tries to be helpful) :)

All of the above are great ways to learn, the vocabulary is probably the first thing you should figure out.  When I first read the TBB books I had little idea what they meant.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:23 pm »
If I remember correctly there is a glossary of vocabulary we use on this form.
I think it in the read only section.

It’s really helpful to understand these terms. Otherwise it’s like tradecraftsman said. It’s almost like reading a different language.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 03:13:18 pm »
Comstock's the Bent Stick is excellent.

Also, check my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 02:55:11 am »
Right now, I am re-reading The Bent Stick and Al Herrin's Cherokee Bows and Arrows.  TBB is invaluable!  This forum is almost like hands on learning, but remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  You also get free humor on occasion.  Welcome to PA!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 09:10:43 am »
Dean Torges', Hunting the Osage Bow. It was the only book I had when I made my first one, and while not my best work,  :o it's still a shooter today.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 12:44:52 pm »
...and a lot of cheap staves.

That's the one I'm having a hard time with.  Can't find decent, affordable staves to save my life, even on the PA forum!  All the natural wood around here needs backed, but I really want to do a few more self bows to get my head around tillering before I try sinew.  Any help?

I've about got TBB 1 and 2 memorized.  Need to get 3 and 4.  But mostly need some staves to scrape on.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour