Author Topic: Privet  (Read 3344 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Privet
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:50:54 am »
Before I venture into unknown territory......anyone have any experience making a bow from Chinese privet?  I've made arrows from privet and it is very much like the Yaupon holly that grows here in Texas:  the wood is very white, medium heavy, sands and polishes well, and about as strong as sweet birch.

(I've made a bow from sweet birch but one of the limbs exploded without warning.) :-\

There is a small mention in TBB4 of privet having similar properties to red oak.  I hope this is not true of ALL privet?  Red oak is not one of my favorites.

I'm thinking of making lightweight kids bows from the privet (under 15# weight @ 18" draw).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Privet
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:11:24 am »
Patrick, I have thought about building a privet bow but haven't yet. It makes a very strong arrow shaft so I would guess it will make a bow. I'm curious to see your outcome.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:26:12 am »
Pat, you'll be the first to know how it works out.  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline anglobow

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:23 am »
I cut a bow sized piece a while back, but it checked clear through while drying. I bent the limb until it broke, just to see how strong it was. Tensile strength was pretty amasing so I imagine that you could make a good bow from it. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:09:51 pm »
It's pretty tough and heavy. I've used it for arrows but haven't tried bows. I think Tom Mills made a good hunting-weight shooter out of privet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Far East Archer

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:11:58 am »
Over here(Japon) we have a lot of Taiwanese Privet, very white and polishes like horn. It doesnt grow very tall over here and so bow sized pieces are very hard or even rare to find. However, I have made one test bow out of it, very short and narrow with a round belly. I think it 44" long or so and pulled 40#@20", no set. I wish I took pics of that bow, unfortunately it has a new owner now and so I do not remember much more about it....

Great wood though, I think your Chinese privet might be related to our Taiwanese privet if not the same. It should make a good bow, but maybe less extreme designs than what I used would last longer/perform better....

Alex

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Troy Breeding made a privet bow a while back.  If I remember correctly it was pretty wimpy and sluggish.