Author Topic: Crown a concave back?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Crown a concave back?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 03:06:34 pm »
The build along bow I have been working on had a concave back and I agree it is a pain to uncover a good clean back. I also found the concave back made it harder for me to hit my intended draw weight and to keep the limbs from twisting as I tillered it. I'm sure that part was more me because I make very few bows anymore so I'm just not up to par(my excuse and I'm sticking with it  ::) ).
So, my advise is take it extra slow and make every scrape a thoughtful scrape and exercise and check your weight often.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 10:49:43 am »
Either go for it or take 4 rings off. I’d take the rings off if I had 1-1/2 left in the handle. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 12:18:28 pm »
I would cut it off at 38"

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 06:43:31 pm »
I would cut it off at 38"

HH~
Well, Shawn, it might come to that.  But I’m still hoping to keep it full length.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 08:03:54 pm »
I've built a few with concave backs. some have turned out fine but others have been problematic. I've decided I'm not a fan. I will avoid it if I can. Not to say you can't make a bow out of that, but don't be surprised if you have tension issues.

Offline HH~

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 09:53:46 am »
Agree whole heartedly. If yer hanging it on the wall OK. Fer a shooter not so much.

Shawn~!
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW