Author Topic: Heat treating elm bow  (Read 1128 times)

Offline PatrickH

Heat treating elm bow
« on: February 27, 2021, 08:43:34 pm »
So my 63" elm flatbow is nearing its final tiller, it is currently 54lbs@25in. my goal is around 55@26. I figured I would leave it a little heavy so after being shot in it ends up around 55 (I think TBB1 recommends that somewhere, anyway) it currently has about 1.5in of string follow. My question is, is it too late to put it on a straight board and heat treat it? no reflex just back to straight. Or would you guys just say screw it and not bother? thanks for your time guys!
Muskegon Mi.

Offline RyanY

Re: Heat treating elm bow
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 08:56:13 pm »
If you’re going to do it you should at least put it in some reflex while heating. I think it’s worth a shot. 1.5” seems like a bit more set than I would like for that length bow and draw length*.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:13:01 pm by RyanY »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:56:19 pm »
You'll need to bend it back more than 1.5" if you want it to come out straight.

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 11:00:01 pm »
Im not all that worried about getting it pipe straight, i guess i was worried it might be late in the process to heat treat?
Muskegon Mi.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 12:14:19 am »
Wait for more experience than me, I have no experience with any type of elm, but there is a difference in heat treating and heat bendind. I am of the understanding heat treating goes a lot deeper into the wood.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 02:46:04 am »
It will be ok as long as you don't induce too much reflex. You can get those belly cracks if you do.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 02:02:33 pm »
I’d say heat treat it on a straight board. Elm loves a good heat treatment and it’ll reduce the overall string follow. I’ve broken some of my older bows trying to add additional reflex after they’ve taken set. They developed frets. Never had one harmed by heating it on a straight form after final tiller though.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows