Author Topic: Bandsaw Blades  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Piddler

Bandsaw Blades
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:53:15 pm »
Question Fellas,
What are good dimensions for a bandsaw blade to be used for large and thick staves. For example blade thickness and TPI. Tried a belly split on a stave with wedges (not one of my good staves) and it was wanting to go cross grain. So put it on the bandsaw and can't get it to want to cut straight. The blade is 5/8" about 5 tpi. Thinking a 3/4' blade would cut straighter and not walk as bad. I have the guides right at the blade so it shouldn't pull like that. Saw is pretty new and used little so some pilot error could be involved. To be fair I did knock the blade off pulling a stave back out when the cut wasn't working right. Don't think I hurt it though.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Will B

Re: Bandsaw Blades
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:44:24 pm »
I’ve had good luck roughing out bow blanks and staves with 3/4” x .025” x 2-3 TPI. Handles the bigger staves and cuts really well for me.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:00 pm »
On my 14” grizzly I use a 7 tpi 5/8  blades if sharp cut 4” thick Osage with ease.    You touch them to metal and they won’t cut balsa wood.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:20:33 am »
You are in the right ballpark with blade dimensions anyway.
Chances are your blade has lost its ability to cut straight (assuming your saw is set up correctly). Once this happens to a bandsaw blade its only any good for firewood.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:38:44 am »
I use 3tpi AS 1/2" (alternate set for green logs) 4tpi 1/2" regular for everything else
It's handy to use the same width of blades as it saves adjustment.
Del

Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:30:39 am »
How powerful is your bandsaw? HP makes a lot of difference.

If you are sawing staves, or belly splits then you need to steer the  timber freehand to saw straight. Also you are dealing with no really flat and stable surface that will balance safely on the saw's table, so that makes it much trickier than if using flat, straight lumber. Go slow, don't force it, let the blade cut at its own pace.

A fresh sharp blade makes a lot of difference. If its dull then any sawing will be extremely difficult, and probably inaccurate.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 06:29:33 am »
My saw is a 14", 1 1/2 hp Craftsman. I use a 3/4", 3 or 4 tpi blade .035" thick. I upgraded from guide blocks to the Carter bearing roller guides. The thicker blade and bearing guides seem to help, but it's still tricky business on these smaller bandsaws.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 08:42:07 am »
There's something wrong if it won't cut straight.  I have used a 1/2" with 4 tpi blade for ripping and never had any problem with staves or anything else I cut.  I even saw a tube video on how to sharpen a bandsaw blade and sharpened my own blades, weren't quite as good as new but still cut quite well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 08:50:02 am »
I use a 3/4 - 3 hook on my big saw, it will cut anything you put on it and quick, just have to be careful starting if it is thin stuff. :)
and it don't make turns well. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 04:25:44 pm »
3/4" 3tpi Laguna carbide Resaw King on a 14" bandsaw for me.  I was skeptical of spending the money on one of these......but it is worth EVERY PENNY and then some.  Huge performance and safety gain over any bi-metal blade I've had.  Also, it cuts significantly quieter.

Matt

Offline Piddler

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 06:46:41 pm »
Thanks Fellas, Gonna get a new blade and have another go. I may have tweaked that blade as mentioned. Had it in a bind a couple times. Learning curve but must happen sometime.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"