Author Topic: Tips and Tricks for the Backwoods  (Read 1376 times)

Offline BrianS

Tips and Tricks for the Backwoods
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:35:04 am »
Hello Everyone,
I recently put together a tips and tricks video. In the video I asked for Viewers to share their own tips about backwoods activities such as hunting, fishing, camping, building stuff etc. Here is a sample of some of the tips I received so far. Not sure whether there will be enough for a future video but you never know until you try. If anyone has their own tip or trick that you would like to share with others, please let me know and I will mention it in the next tips and tricks for the Backwoods video
Take care,
brian.
Tip#1: In thick cover, deer often slip through rather effortlessly, keeping just out range for a clear shot with an arrow. At least 3 months before the season, I will sometimes use a spool of 16 gauge tie wire to secure & bend and weave the thicket to create a 10 foot wide 15 or 20 yard living fence. Small game can still make it through but it works great to funnel deer right in close. brush in a pop up ground blind months before the season for an easy shot.
Tip#2: Another great tip I received: I will sometimes rig a hand warmer to the back of my camera to help keep the battery warm in cold weather. This was a trick I learned from Antarctic explorer Will Steger.
Tip #3: Before leaving your cabin, make sure you have the makings of a new fire all ready to go in your wood stove so all you need to do is light it when returning. This could save your life.
Tip#4 I keep 2 garbage bags in pack Slip over boots pull up to thighs cross high running streams in spring turkey hunting. Many other useful applications. Poncho or shelter to sit under. This is going to be a good series.

Offline BrianS

Re: Tips and Tricks for the Backwoods
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 11:37:18 am »
Here is a link to the first tips and tricks video that explains what I am trying to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUCWFp_3RUA

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:31:32 pm »
Couple of things I always carry on my key ring so I'll have them in an emergency.

1) a peanut lighter with good O-ring.  Generally only need to add fuel once or twice a year as it doesn't evaporate very quickly.

2) a stainless steel capsule with cotton soaked in an oil wax mix and a few drops of lighter fluid.  Take a a spark well, and makes a pretty good fire starter.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:48:18 pm »
Garbage bag is a must for me. And it has to be a good garbage bag. It has a million different uses my favorite one being a poncho.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.