Author Topic: How to apply beeswax to a bow?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

How to apply beeswax to a bow?
« on: February 17, 2021, 04:02:56 pm »
How do you guys apply beeswax to your bows? Do you heat it up then rub it on or rub it on cold then heat it?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: How to apply beeswax to a bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:11:53 pm »
Rub it on cold, heat it up then buff it

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:25:23 pm »
You can make a beeswax polish by making it into a paste first which will ease application.   Warm it in a double boiler, remove it  from the heat and stir in a small amount of solvent  and let it cool.   You can add a bit of mineral oil if  your wax is very hard.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:16:09 pm »
I just rub the block of wax all over it then heat with a heat gun. You’ll see the wood just soak it up. Just hit it with the heat gently. You don’t want to heat the wood more than enough to melt the wax. That does remind me, I have a bow that needs its yearly waxing.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:14:43 am »
A hair drier is hot  enough to melt the wax, not so much of a risk to the bow. Mmm  might be more of a risk to you if you get caught using her hair drier tho...

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 11:34:10 am »
Buy polymerized linseed and bees wax mix. Rub it on warm it up with soft rag and friction. Very easy. Good stuff.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:04:37 pm »
Do you guys think these methods would work on a bow that has 5 coats of tru oil?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 02:12:11 pm »
Not if you want it to go into the surface.  It will just sit on top.  Not that this is a bad thing but it won't be working the same way.  Lots of people use a  coat of wax unbuffed to temporarily knock down a surface shine when hunting.

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 03:24:36 pm »
Wax over true oil? No.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 04:07:52 pm »
I don't want it to go into the surface just on it to help repel water. I rubbed it on cold like a crayon then warmed it front of my wood stove and rubbed it with a cloth. It ended up pretty nice and help cut that tru oil shine. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 04:54:45 pm »
That will be fine.  It's a good top up finish that you can easily apply as routine maintenance.   Typically Johnson's floor wax  or similar is used by a a lot of guys for the same purpose.

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 05:49:52 pm »
Beeswax over true oil ... If you want to repel water, car wax over true oil. Ok.

Stock makers with oil finished wood will use a high grade carnuba. Rub paste wax in open over oul or wax finish is very effective. With grain sealed it is a lot to do for very little effect.

HH~