Author Topic: trying to make a erc sinew bow  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Fox

trying to make a erc sinew bow
« on: February 15, 2021, 05:03:09 pm »
I just had a messed up stave to use... so was only able to get 1 1/2" wide and its 64" long going to bend threw the handle if it makes it that far... big issue is Its a bit under 1/2" thick right now and bending sooo much... ssh probably won't get a hunting weight bow... if I get a bow at all.... I guess ill see what happens.... oh and this tree was cut somewhere around 100 years ago....

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: trying to make a erc sinew bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:05:45 pm »
Challenging piece of wood for sure, look forward to seeing how it goes. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 05:21:36 pm »
I cut up a bunch of cedar trees on my neighbor's place, I suspect they had been on the ground for at least 40 years. the wood was as sound as could be inside. I made a hickory backed ERC bow and the hickory failed not the ERC. I initially cut the trees up for wood to make gizmos out of it was so nice that I had to attempt a bow.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 05:56:53 pm »
How did you get ahold of wood that old Fox?  I'd sure hate to break something with history like that.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:20:20 pm »
A friend brought me the whole log and we split it up together, I got 2 staves and keep screwing them up ...

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:24:49 am »
looks like you are trying to chase a ring down to heartwood..Am I right?.. sapwood makes a better back it has more elasticity .. if you can leave some sapwood clean . I never chased an ERC ring but I cut my stave and roughed out bow.. going to split the piece I cut off stave only 24" and practice on chasing a ring on it.. My roughed out bow is thick enough I could chase a ring ,has a couple of tiny gouges ..and the bug tracks in area Im going to recurve.. but they will be static.. sinew should protect those minor spots.. I got a few more staves also.. I got to debark and see if bugs got in them... I want to build one that has a lot of heartwood in it and leave a sapwood back ... love the smell of this ERC too...these staves are about 8 years drying..they split like a dream... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 10:51:48 am »
If the trunk was on the ground for a while I'd say the sapwood was probably no good for bows. The heartwood should be fine. ERC heartwood is pretty rot resistant. I've seen 50 year old ERC fence posts that were still quite sound.
 Lood luck with your build. Sinew backed ERC should make a pretty good bow for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:10 am »
Eric that looks like some nice erc there...

Yeah gut Chased heartwood,,,, I wanted to leave sapwood back but it was messed up, part of the reason I’m having an issue with the stave being too thin.... there’s a “valley” in the center of the stave where the ring goes down.... but I’m not sure if I should get out the gooseneck and chase that part or keep the back flat, my worry is that it’s already bending sooo much I don’t want to take more off,,,

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 12:33:01 pm »
if its in center of stave then it shouldn't bend there, if you can lay out your handle there it would be ideal. provided your not making a D bow..... you are going to sinew it too so you should be safe... just remember on ERC the sapwood is more elastic than the heartwood... but trust me I understand.. the beauty of the heartwood is captivating.. I got the same bug.. I will be roughing out another stave provided I can chase a ring on my cut piece and its doable.. I want to leave some sapwood on bow for contrast and elasticity about 3 rings.. they are pretty tight... if I can do it I'll hold off on the bow I just roughed out for another day...my sinew pile is getting low.. I'll be pulling over and cutting tendons off road kill till next hunting season it looks like..hahahahaha.. gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 02:18:54 pm »
when I say center I more mean the center and running the length of the stave for the dip in the back.... but I am making a D bow I think... or atleast some bend in the handle because I was worried about the width.. I also can tiller better with a bit of a bend in the handle for some reason.... ive got about enough sinew for this bow and a set of arrows for it...... then im choppin roadkill legs too ;D ;D

(my mothers not particularly excited when I say to pull over so I can chop those legs off of that deer there) (lol) (lol) >:D

do you usually take the whole leg home and then get the sinew? or cut it off the deer right there? (lol)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 02:53:25 pm »
Mom might be even less enthused about taking the whole deer!  Unless you are in a pickup :fp (lol). You could get more sinew though!  Good luck on the build?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 04:10:27 pm »
Mom might be even less enthused about taking the whole deer!  Unless you are in a pickup :fp (lol). You could get more sinew though!  Good luck on the build?
Hawkdancer

Yeah she probly wouldn’t have it if I tried to throw the whole deer in the back of the jeep....  ;D (lol)

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 10:32:55 pm »
I Just grab the rear leg tendons haha .. gut

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 02:38:02 pm »
Split stave

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 02:51:36 pm »
Hopefully better pic