Author Topic: Juniper shortbow and build along video  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Juniper shortbow and build along video
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 04:47:46 pm »
Nice video, enjoyed it, ERC has never been good to me but I appreciate anyone that can pull it off. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 05:20:08 pm »
I saw  the video I was asking how hard was it ... is it easy to see... does it have the crunch on early wood... mine is thin ringed as your appears to be... gut

Yeah you can see the rings but good light helps. There’s not so much of the crunch that something like osage has, but you can still feel the difference between the rings to some extent.

There’s a color progression as you go through the ring that really helps you figure out how far you are between them. As the next one gets close the wood gets slightly translucent and you can see the next ring in advance.

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 10:30:17 am »
ahhh.. just the info I was seeking brother.. thank you..I got a small piece off a stave I am going to practice on rings are tight... wanting to get a lot of heartwood in one but still keep a sapwood back.. these staves the sapwood is over an inch thick.. my last bow had only a little heartwood in handle and the one I roughed out to recurve is the same..it has some minor nicks in back now might be able to sand out without violation and bug tracks in recurve area.. those will be static anyway...going to sinew it too so its probably ok... gut

Offline Will B

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 11:13:55 am »
Beautiful bow!  I really enjoyed your video. Your shop is awesome!