Author Topic: Penobscot Bow  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Penobscot Bow
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »
I am trying to dig up information about the Penobscot Bow, particularly primary sources.  Any ideas?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Penobscot Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:52:23 pm »
Halfeye has done some research on it. I believe he has made some double bows as well.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 07:09:47 pm »
There is a pretty good article in the “bow woods” volume 3. This is a really good compilation of articles worth owning if you don’t already.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:56:16 pm by Kidder »

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:19:27 pm »
All kinds of myths about the Penobscot, and Mic Mac bows. Invented in 1900. The original was made of American Horn beam . Type in Penobscot ,and Mic Mac bow on your web search Utube. You will see different takes on those bows by different bow makers. Straight limbs to recurve limbs. Different lengths etc. I have made 6. I have 2 left. They shoot no better than a well made self bow. They are a conversation piece though, because not many people have seen the double bow, and they can be adjusted for poundage. Mark has the nicest example I have seen, but here are some pics of the two I have.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:20:59 pm »
more pics

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:23:45 pm »
I meant to say many people have not seen the double bow.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 07:55:24 pm »
The first bow is all Hickory. 59 inches long, and pulls 30 to 45 lbs. The second is 64 inches long, and pulls 25 to 40 lbs. Front limb is Ash, and the short limb is White Oak. I used what wood I had at the time.I tried making the back limb 1/3 ,1/2, 3/4 the length  of the front limb to get better performance with no success. Unique, but not practical for hunting, but fun to shoot target with.. The 2 limbs are attached with dowel pins ,glue ,and thread wrapping. Some guys that have made them claim they relax some at full draw. I haven't found that to be true. Mine stack at full draw. Saved these 2 for my grandson's as a keeps sake.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:01:53 pm »
I am trying to dig up information about the Penobscot Bow, particularly primary sources.  Any ideas?

Historians have pretty much written it off as a modern invention by a white man that posed as a native in order to gather attention and make money off suckers. That being said, it has the potential to make an effective bow, albeit with more effort, multiples of layers of duplicated tillering efforts, and the back cable manufacture.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:22:00 pm »

Historians have pretty much written it off as a modern invention by a white man that posed as a native in order to gather attention and make money off suckers. That being said, it has the potential to make an effective bow, albeit with more effort, multiples of layers of duplicated tillering efforts, and the back cable manufacture.

I wouldn't be surprised.  It doesn't seem to warrant the extra work, especially if someone is just looking to bring home meat.  I remember reading a bit about modern takes on the bow in some PA back issues, but I'm still curious.  I'm kind of interested because my university is less than 10 minutes from the Penobscot Nation.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:30:36 pm »
I remember reading,, that they favor heavy arrows, but I am just remembering something I read, it may not be true,, I cant remember reading any real info on shooting 10 gpp,,or anything like that,,

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 11:53:45 pm »
These two shoot a little over Tim baker's  100 plus poundage. at 10 gpp arrow.

Offline bassman

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 12:17:10 am »
I have a book on the indigenous people of north America. These people are of the Algonquin tribe, and this book shows a Penobscot Indian at full draw with a pipe in his mouth, and shows their bow as a simple D shaped design, and looks to be shot with a pinch finger grip on the arrow. Their is a picture of a young Penobscot girl holding  a double bow with the arrow, but would have to be after 1900, and not what was used by this tribe.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 12:55:19 am »
Trad,
Research it in the library and make contact with the Archeaology and Anthropology Depts.  Being that close to the Penobscot nation, there should be some one with expertise.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 12:59:47 am »
I wonder where the examples shown in the Encyclopedia vol 2(?) came from?

Seton mentions his meeting with "Chief Big Thunder" at a Sportsman show in NY where he saw this style of bow for the first time.  He estimated it pulling about 20 pounds.

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 11:22:25 am »
TBH I built a penobscot hickory bow.. I found no use for the design .. the mass of the bow vs performance is not worth it to me.. not to mention a bugger to till to get the smaller bow to align perfect with main bow..twisting the cables to the smaller bow didn't increase poundage enough for the hassle and weight in hand.. the benefits certainly didn't add up to me .. A single limb bow is far superior IMO... I guess they are cool to look at I agree, but I never took mine to the woods and rarely even shoot it... might just sell it cause tit takes up space haha...gut