Author Topic: Asian Bamboo on bamboo w/pics  (Read 3783 times)

Offline bhenders

Asian Bamboo on bamboo w/pics
« on: May 09, 2008, 04:54:55 pm »
Here is another bow that I just finished as a test to see if I could do it.

I'll call it an 'Asian Bow with siyah and string bridges'.  I've been reading about horse bows (mongolian, hungarian, korean) and wondered if I could make something like that.  Not having the horn, hide glue OR the experience, I decided to try to make something but with available resources and my current state of knowledge ( limited ).

I had some bamboo around that I could use for the back and thought that if I could get some vertical bamboo I would use that for the belly.

I stopped at my local flooring store and lo and behold they had six foot vertical bamboo flooring.  I talked the manager into selling me two planks for $10 and had a friend rip them in half and then into 1 1/4 strips (so I got 8 vertical bamboo strips for $10 - the kind of deal I like).

I was cleaning the garage that week and came across an old magazine rack (falling apart) and was going to throw it out - wait - the legs were birch and just the right size for the siyahs.  SO now I'm in business.

OK, still didn't have any hide glue and didn't want to spend a day or two boiling up hides and stuff and too poor to just order it online.  BUT, I've been reading about what hide glue really is.  I then just went out and bought some Knoxx Gelatin (hide glue you can eat )

Construction:

I sanded down the bamboo back and vertical belly strip to about. 3/16" or a little more in thickness and shaped them to be about 11/2" wide at the handle and 3/4" wide at the ends.  They were four feet long.

Glue Up:  I put two packets of gelatin in a plastic cup and added the same amount of water and let the gelatin absorb the water.  I added two tablespoons more water and heated the cup in the microwave being careful not to let it boil.  I took two spoonfuls of this and diluted it by half again, heated it again and brushed it on both the backing and belly bamboo and let it cool.  I did this a couple of times because everyone talking about using hide glue seem to do this for a glue up. 

Finally I heated the really thick stuff again and brushed it on and clamped the two cores together and into a form for some deflex and a little reflex at the ends.

I waited... but not long enough!!!  I tried to bend the blank about 4 days after the glue-up and it de-lamanated on me.  OK, so I just used a heat gun to soften the glue again, applied another layer of the glue and re-clamped.  Waited longer this time..(about 10 days)...... It worked!!!

BTW: I just store the glue in fridge in a covered plastic container.  When I need it again, I can just cut out a chunk of gelatin and melt it in a plastic cup and use it.

So now I have the bow blank and am ready to put on the siyahs and tiller it.

This bow was going to be a stronger that I thought.  I had to narrow down the limbs to get it to bend and then take some off of the belly.  Final dimensions are 1 3/8" at the handle and 11/16 or a little less at the ends.

Siyahs:  I cut out a slot to put the end of the bow blank into and shaped them (with a belt sander) to be narrow and as light as possible.

I glued them on with some 10 min epoxy (I know, I should have used the hide glue but didn't want to wait a week - next time).  I drilled holes for the string and used files to smooth them out.

The string bridges are walnut that I had around that I shaped on the end of my belt sander and then cut in half so I had two of them.  I glued them on just behind where the siyahs meet the core and then wrapped the siyahs with artificial sinew to reinforce them. 

Shooting it:  Ok, I couldn't hit the broad side of my target the first couple times.  Takes some getting used to.

I still have not put it on a scale so I don't know what it draws.  I'll do that soon.  Found my scale  45 lbs at 26"

Hope you enjoyed this.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:14:49 pm by bhenders »

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Asian Bamboo on bamboo w/pics
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:06:27 pm »
Interesting bow.  The way you attached the siyahs worries me a little.  Are both pieces slotted or just the limb part?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bhenders

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:13:33 am »
Just the limb is slotted.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:51:24 pm »
Interesting bow.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:58:58 pm »
Good for you for thinking outside of the box. A great candidate for May Laminate Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:01:47 pm »
Cool looking bow, very unique. Got any hand shock?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:04:11 pm »
No shock to speak of. 

Found my sacle ...   45 lbs at 26".  A little more that I wanted. 

I really made if for someone who is under 5 feet tall and weighs about 90 lbs.  My other bows are way too heavy and tall for her to shoot (I'm 6' 2" and 250 ) and this one may give her trouble. Oh well, got another blank already glued up and will thin it down a ways to get it light enough.