Author Topic: 50" stave, what are my options?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: 50" stave, what are my options?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 03:05:58 pm »
I think two bows are better than one,,then you have a back up,, ;D

Offline gifford

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 03:36:58 pm »
Yep, 50 inches would likely work if you bend through the handle, the draw would likely end up at 24 inches which is plenty for a pony bow, Native American style. There have been several posted recently. Depending on the width of the stave, you might try the flat bow style, like the west coast Native Americans made. There is plenty of wood for either style, imho. Good luck with the staves.

Offline bassman

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 07:16:20 pm »
I have a 50 inch nock to nock  white oak self bow that pulls 40 lbs at 25 inches with a quarter inch deep cut shelf. One, and a quarter at the fades to half inch at the tips in width. Straight taper. It holds two inches of reflex un strung. It tapers from the middle of the handle both ways clean to the tips on the belly, and the handle works to a degree in the last 2 inches of draw. Bow shoots good. That is another option. Making the handle work in the last couple inches of draw.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:15 pm »
Say you make it 49”ntn. 24.5” draw is totally doable without stacking. Add a slight recurve and you could get back to 26.5”ish. Add some deflex and you could make it back to 28”. It’ll be a challenge but I think it’s in the realm of possibility with Osage and no backing.

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 06:25:29 pm »
I have the option of backing with bamboo. am also intrigued by adding stiff tips but am ignorant on how to do this. I didn't think that a splice in a bending area would work. splicing can really add options to me. I guess it is in the how the splicing is done. I love the various answers, they give a person something to chew on. Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 08:30:16 am »
If you splice them, no need to bend through the handle.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 10:30:57 am »
I'm working on a very dry slim 1 1/4  wide 54" osage bow now..just shaved it down last night to one ring.. wood is 12 years since cut... I made a 3 inch handle with 1 " fades.. has some snake on bottom limb... going to air back it since so dry afraid sinew would pull apart.. thick rings including early wood thick too... shooting for mid to high 50"s at 26"... wish me luck... gonna need it I'm sure... gut

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 10:54:39 am »
Gut, 1 1/4" isn't wide enough for a 54 inch bow to make mid 50s in weight. 40 pounds is probably the highest you can go before you start getting into significant set. But, if you shoot for mid 50s for the fun of it, id sure like to watch your Build! Have you started a thread on ut?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

gutpile

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 11:33:27 am »
no I haven't here.. I have pics on my mewe page ( primitive life )... we will see what we can get out of it,I know its pushing the limits but thats what we do.. it started out wider.. but wood is super dry.. had a ring chased and my vice crushed my back and popped a chunk off ring.. had to chase another .. then a small pin knot violation caused me to go another ring.. fat rings brother.. by the time I got a clean back I lost my width... she is starting to bend on floor.. hands got blisters from chasing the rings haha... when I try to load pics here from my phone they get rejected... so I give up on posting my pics here... not going to back it either.. back is clean now... afraid sinew would possibly de laminate the wood..  I have some boo backed 1 1/4 wide that is over 50 lbs. and only 58".... just trying to see what I can get out of it now... gut
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:50:52 am by gutpile »

gutpile

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 12:25:25 pm »
Ive attempted to post pics here yet again.. I give up.. gut

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 03:25:59 pm »
gut try emailing from your phone to computer,, put the email setting on medium, then it will post here.. or text or email to me, I will post for you,,,

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 03:49:25 pm »
I dont want to hijack this thread.. I just tried it that and still didn't work... no big deal.. I just cant post pics here anymore .. I dropped Facebook so Im on mewe ( primitive life) and gab.. they are there if you guys look my up.. Kirk Hollums both accounts... aka gut