Author Topic: How much more speed do you get with D97 vs B50?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Re: How much more speed do you get with D97 vs B50?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 09:38:22 am »
Got a spool of d97 yesterday. We shall see!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 09:48:09 am »
I got away from compounds years ago because of all the ghee gahs and, for me, complicated shooting requirements and went to glass trad bows and instinctive shooting, both recurve and longbows. Then the marketing pushes of the trad community turned me away from that. I love "primitive" archery because of it's simplicity, because I can make most of it myself. As far as I am concerned the simpler the better...as long as it is effective. If I can put the arrow where I want it to go at 20 to 25 yards, no matter the trajectory, I'm happy. Actually this is called ARCHery for a reason. Anything less than that is FLATery.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:03 am »
I think I was drawn into it bc of the challenge and a genuine interest in the culture of America's native peoples.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 11:35:54 am »
FF and b50 are about equally simple IMO.  Both are synthetic fibers that you have to process the same way to get a string.

Offline bassman

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 01:14:33 pm »
If you are a purist you can use linen, or flax hemp or similar materials. Flight shooters shooting self bows are forced to use natural materials  as it is a rule. Most on here use a high grade linen for bow material.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 05:40:27 pm »
FF and b50 are about equally simple IMO.  Both are synthetic fibers that you have to process the same way to get a string.

That’s just wrong but go ahead if that’s what you like.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 05:46:29 pm »
I set my records with linen but D97 is better string. Just facts guys.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 07:38:33 pm »
What Arvin said... I have tried both on maybe 100 different bows...selfbows, BBOs, glass longbows, and glass recurves... and it almost always makes the bow shoot better.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 07:09:05 pm »
Currently getting an average of 10 fps faster with my new d97 string. My old dacron one definitely stretches way more than the new one, as I noticed that it is significantly shorter than my d97 one at the same brace height.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 09:01:51 pm »
With my glass bows I consistently got around 10 fps difference between strings. Thats basically 5# bow weight. So basically shooting a #45 bow with FF was giving me same numbers as shooting #50 with B50. I went back to b50 because no much how much I tried I could not get rid of the 'thump' with FF..not a twang just a thump but it was enough that deer were hearing it and ducking me all the time. So what happened was I was putting so much stuff on the string and limbs trying to get rid of it that it negated all the gains I was seeing with it. Went back to b50

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 01:48:37 pm »
Yeah, I don't like that harsh thump either. Don't like how it sounds or how it feels. I'm not that desperate for a few fps.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:49 pm »
If nothing else, I like how much easier it is to brace a d97 string compared to b50 at higher draw weights. Once both strings are broke I’m I still get a little stretch upon bracing with b50. Which means the limbs have to be bent a bit further to brace the bow. Generally not an issue. But it makes a difference when push pulling higher draw weights.

Kyle

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 02:12:46 pm »
I posted this once before, but I can't see the post now.

Quote from: tradcraftsman on January 26, 2021, 11:35:54 am

That’s just wrong but go ahead if that’s what you like.

Why is it wrong?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 05:00:31 pm »
I started using D97 several years ago, it is some what faster/quieter/less shock and very little stretch so when you get it braced the first time it stays with very little adjustments ,I also like it for tiller strings, getting a bow to first low brace the first time can be a real pain, not so much with D97, as far as primitive D97/B50 or any of the other man made material aren't, so if I am not using rawhide/sinew/linen or some other natural material I want to use what I think is best, now this is JMO, as was said to each their own. :) I am a pretty simple guy also when it comes to bows, but I guess with string material I went to the DARK SIDE. :D ;) :) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 12:43:03 am »
yes i thought I was loosing my mind,, my post went away, and a thread I started,, anyway,, Pappy I gonna try the thicker serving as you suggest, why didnt I think of that,, :)