Author Topic: Reasonable overall length  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Kidder

Reasonable overall length
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:48:09 pm »
So I’ve managed to pick up an Osage stave that is pretty short due to some borer damage on one end. It’s plenty wide and plenty deep but not enough either way to split. It looks like I’m going to be at 58 inches TTT when all is said and done. My draw is 26 inches. Is that going to be enough length to get a stiff handled bow out of? Or am I stuck with a bendy?

Offline RyanY

Re: Reasonable overall length
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 06:04:28 am »
It will probably stack a good amount if the handle and fade length is over 4”. You could get extra draw length with a R/D design or reflexed tips if you have a decent amount of width for your desired draw weight.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 08:06:52 am »
Could you cut it a bit longer, leave some borer damage in stiff tips, fill in the holes with sawdust and glue, and put sinew or linen over it?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 08:48:23 am »
Add tip extensions.  Simple solution.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:18:50 am »
Leave it as wide as you can the length of working limb then taper into static recurves.  That’ll help with stack, and I’ve seen pics of a couple that short that pulled >50 lbs with little to no set as a selfbow...they were left wide limbed and masterfully tillered.  If worried about set or breakage, back it with sinew once you get it low braced and get the curves aligned and get the string tracking like you want it.  I’ve got a beautiful 56” stave that I’m going to start on soon and try to do the same for 28” draw.  I know my tillering ain’t up to snuff to make it a selfbow, so it’s going to get a sinew backing.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 10:54:15 am »

You have my attention! I just can’t imagine what that looks like or how to do it. Any links or photos to help my non working imagination?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:30 pm »
I think you could do either,, bend handle or stiff,, or tip extensions,,
if you sinew back it will do 26 easy,, out to 29,,(theoriticly)
just spit balling but,, the sinew backed bow would hold reflex and probably outshoot the self bow version,, but not always,, depending on the piece of wood,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 12:57:52 pm »

You have my attention! I just can’t imagine what that looks like or how to do it. Any links or photos to help my non working imagination?

Cut a v shaped slot in the end.  Taper a piece of wood to fit the slot.  Glue it together.

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 02:11:41 pm »

Try adding some siyahs. Should be a decent amount of info and vids online showing how to install them.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 02:42:29 pm »
I think you'll be fine if you proceed with caution.  My hunting bow for 20 years was a 59" unbacked osage selfbow 1.75" wide at the fade, stiff 4" handle, and pyramid taper.  Osage is amazing stuff.  Maybe add a thin rawhide backing once its tillered?

Matt

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 03:30:42 pm »
 One of my first osage bows was about the same length. I kept the limbs 2" wide from the fades out to about 4" then taper to 1/2" nocks.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 04:37:29 pm »

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 05:23:25 pm »
Here's a good thread on tip extensions.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52780.0.html

Nice to feel like Fred  is still here.  :(

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 05:25:30 pm »
Here's another thread with some more on the topic, including static tips.
  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45018.0.html