Author Topic: Heartless Walnut  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Heartless Walnut
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:52:31 am »
We cut down a fast grown Walnut tree at my brother's place end of January last year, it was about 30 years old and had borne fruit for several years... he cut it down 'cos it was overhanging the neighbours property and the leaves had fallen into his little garden pond and killed the fish. It was all sapwood! I got 3 staves out of it, all heavily reflexed, two with bark on and one from further into the tree which also had a big sideways bend.
I worked on that stave just to see what the wood was like (the rings were 1/2" thick in places!)... I went at it like a bull at a gate so as to have a quick try.
Steam bending took out the reflex, then I cut away some at the grip to allow it to bend sideways and steam bent it sideways. It has some ring violations running the length of the limbs due to how the stave was roughed out (still even got some slight saw marks across the back!)
I made a mess of roughing it out on the bandsaw and created a weak spot... which looked horrendous first time on the tiller at only 20#(first pic)  :o!
However after some shortening of the limbs and heat treating, I got it to target weight 40# @ 27" ... pic shows it at 28"
I was amazed... it's kept a hint of reflex and shoots fast and sweet... I have high hope for the better staves, which will have nice clean backs. I'd expected it to take set, chrysal or just be slow.
It's 61.5" ttt. 2 1/8" wide at the widest.
I've not bothered to finish it off at the moment... I'll see how it shoots through the chrono, then maybe finish it as a field shooting bow.
I did 8 videos showing progress from staves to finished bow, which are on my Youtube channel as a play list:-
 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBz2tD9476KRuVA_Fkpzav-457zLavBU5
which shows how I recovered from that horrible starting point! Hopefully it will be useful for some newbies...
It was certainly interesting to play with something different.
Del
PS... In the full draw pic, the dark area near the right tip (from heat treating) creates a bit of an optical delusion ;) making it look weak/hinged
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:29:05 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Heartless Walnut
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:56:38 am »
Nice tiller, hope it holds together.

Offline bassman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 11:28:23 am »
Nice the way you got your limbs to balance up from  what you had when you started.  I have made quite a few self bows from clear ,clean Walnut saplings.  It can make a nice bow. I always had to heat treat the belly until it turned nearly black , but not burnt to minimize set, and keep the belly from fretting. With no knots the back is bullet proof. Thick ringed. Looks like yours will be just fine, and you are right it doesn't have to be super premium wood to make a nice bow.

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 12:36:53 pm »
looks like an awesome save. well done sir

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »
Not bad at all :) Good save :)

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:59 pm »
I have been following along with this build on your channel. Nice work on that bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 06:13:05 pm »
Nice bow Mr Cat. Look forward to seeing the rest of that tree
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mutt

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 07:11:42 am »
Excellent videos, excellent teaching, excellent work.
Thanks for sharing!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 07:19:02 am »
Excellent videos, excellent teaching, excellent work.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers, always nice to get some feed back :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline M2A

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 05:22:29 am »
Thats a heck of a bend for walnut. Well done to maintain some reflex in the end.
Mike 

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:10:52 am »
Follow your videos. As usual, I learned something new. And this bow was no exception. Great work as always.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 12:48:30 pm »
Impressive job wrestling a great tiller out of a challenging piece. Nicely done Del.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 04:50:03 am »
Del, Looks like the heartless walnut, still has plenty of ticker.

Really enjoyed the videos too.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 05:17:41 pm »
Just finished watching all the videos. Thank you very much, I learned a lot in problem solving different situations that I probably would have set the stave aside and started on a new one. Way to find the bow in that piece of wood. Job well done.