Author Topic: in the process of a flatbow  (Read 977 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
in the process of a flatbow
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:32:58 am »
I was recently sent several osage staves from a very good friend. I have never worked Osage at all until this September when I pieced two short pieces together and made a light bow. Previously, all I had made were pyramid board bows. My friend had been so nice as to have one of the staves roughed out and ready for floor tiller to get me started on the right foot. It will be a flatbow, my first and I am pretty darn excited about it. Because of having been so sick recently, I am having to wait a bit before getting started with the wood. But, I have been going over the layout of the bow, getting the handle drawn out like I want to try. I plan to put a little palm swell in it. My friend had even reflexed the tips for me so this is something new for me as well. The stave right now is about 66" long, I plan too end up around 64". it is 1 1/2" wide at this point and still pretty thick. My goal is to be 42lbs at 27 inches. I just got a 9" Shinto and am waiting on a Bowers Bible to get in. I wish that I had gotten into the bow buiding part of selfbows forty years ago.   

Offline Selfbowman

Re: in the process of a flatbow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 11:15:44 am »
The same pyramid design will work on your stave . Try to make mid limb 1-1/4 wide if it’s in the stave. Might not be a perfect pyramid but that width seems to work good for me. Tips 5/16-3/8 sounds like you can tiller already. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:13:11 pm »
Get a good dust filter, and face mask, too.  Patience, Grasshopper!  Have fun and post pics! :BB (-P (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 01:43:47 pm »
Might be able to go a bit narrower for that draw weight/length. Sounds like a good plan.

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:44:40 pm »
Get a good dust filter, and face mask, too.  Patience, Grasshopper!  Have fun and post pics! :BB (-P (SH)
Hawkdancer
Don't worry, will only do something on the bow if I can open the big door and do it outside. But even then, really taking my time. I'm kind of thinking out loud to make sure that I am thinking right. kind of verification if you will. I do hope to narrow it some. Today was marking the knots on the limb that are at the edge and need to be left as is. The knot thing is as for so many others, a little perplexing (hope that is the right word) just because I never have dealt with them before. no fear, just don't want to mess it up. since the brain tramau years ago, I am slower at doing things as I have to make sure that my brain understands the task at hand. sometimes it takes me a week or two on some things to make sure. With my memory like it is, I have to write it down or watch a video or pics a bunch as I do something. But I do it. will be 64 in a couple of weeks, had a ruptured brain aneurysm and strokes 25 years ago.