Author Topic: Pacific yew question  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Pacific yew question
« on: January 08, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
I’ve never used pacific yew, only Osage, but I love the 2 tone colors and want to make my next bow out of it. I’m thinking a 2 piece as I have a couple takedown sleeves and I’ve started doing more traveling hunting. My questions are 1- who or where should I go read/watch to learn the best design for yew? How to work it? 2- who’s a recommended supplier of good yew? If I’m allowed to ask. And 3- is yew good for going from hot dry to cold wet or I suppose how weather/temperature resistant is it? My area can be 100 degrees then snowing in the same week of early season and I’ll also be hunting Idaho, Colorado, and hopefully Florida and Texas(hogs).

Thanks for any help!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Pacific yew question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 07:25:20 pm »
Wish I could help you tracker. I have never had a yew stave
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 12:34:34 pm »
You can't beat Del's youtube or blog. Can't help with the hot/dry, it doesn't happen here :)

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:58:51 pm »
During archery season here in central oregon, in a single week, we have gone from 90 degrees to freezing, and always dry, and I’ve never had a yew bow break. Almost ever night is cold, we easily have 50 degree swings in temp from day to night.
Eric

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:30:11 am »
You can't beat Del's youtube or blog. Can't help with the hot/dry, it doesn't happen here :)
My blog is "Bowyers Diary" my Youtube channel is "Del Cat"
Plenty of Yew bows on there, ELB, Warbow and wider Primitive styles.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 12:10:05 am »
I would consider a thin rawhide or sinew back to make it indestructable.
Yew will make many, many different designs but for me the gloden rule is thickers quicker. Narrow, thick limbs :)

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 08:51:15 am »
Del, you have so many videos! That’s awesome, dunno how I haven’t found your channel before. Very helpful!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.