Author Topic: some more osage sinew questions....  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Fox

some more osage sinew questions....
« on: January 05, 2021, 06:58:42 pm »
So I have been working on a osage bow, that keeps getting more and more complicated. its 59" ttt, 1 1/4" wide at fades, straight taper to 1/2" tips it has 2 1/2" of reflex mostly in the last 1/3 of the bow, I'm going to sinew it. and can tiller to bend threw handle if needed. so my question is how do I make sure I don't over-stress this  design? I don't work with osage or sinew, so I have no clue what its capable of. what draw length and weight could I safely aim for? and how many layers of sinew? thanks. (youve seen this bow several times already  ;D (lol))

-Fox

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

Re: some more osage sinew questions....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:27:06 am »
I'd put 3 layers on, crowned down the middle. Pull it to 28" with sinew no problem. Yes let it bend into the handle, but only a fraction of bend there.
Overstressing any wood is the same, it will start to show set, at that point if you want to avoid more set you need to lower your intended draw weight and make the bow thinner. Thinner can bend further :) Draw weight with sinew osage? Anything you can pull :)

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:01:59 am »
Thanks bownarra that’s reassuring... I guess sinew and Osage is a pretty powerful combo  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:23:29 am »
Fox, I agree with bownarra. One thing I would do is get the bow to low brace first and get the tips lined up. Lot easier to do that now and you can't tell if they are lined up until the bow is under tension. I wouldn't mess with the handle area now but while tillering bring the bend back into the handle so you just feel it give when you hit full draw. On smaller handles like this I like to add a rounded piece of thick leather(cork or wood will also work) to make the handle more comfortable in your hand.
 I wrote a story in PA back in 2006 or 07 called "The Story Of Elkie" A similar bow I made for an elk hunt in Colorado. You might gets some pointers from my story. However, in that story I didn't bring the sinew across the handle but stopped it at the handle. By not bringing the sinew across the handle I isolated each limbs from each other instead of joining them into one continuous machine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

Re: some more osage sinew questions
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:13:10 pm »
Okay pat.... so tips are starting to get closed to lined up, they go threw the handle but not directly center. Where would find that story about elkie? Sounds like a good story...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 09:30:02 pm »
In a past Primitive Archer Magazine from probably 2007.
 You won't know for sure if the tips line up until you brace the bow. You can get them to look straight and should first but not for certain until it is braced.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:59 pm »
Okay... this question may be stupid, or the answer obvious... especially now that I’ve made a good few bows now .... but how do I tell if the tips are correctly lined up once it’s braced ? :fp :fp (lol)

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 12:28:12 am »
The string goes through the handle :)
Hold the bow by just the very tip, rest other tip on the ground. Let the bow 'hang' naturally.....is the string near the handle :) As long as it is somewhere near you are good. As Pat said only shape the handle once braced then you simply shape the handle to the string....not messing about with heat trying to bend staves sideways.

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 10:19:00 am »
K... thanks bownarra  ;D