Author Topic: Poly coats  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Poly coats
« on: January 03, 2021, 03:57:17 pm »
I am putting the finish on my latest longbow, and things are not going a smoothly as I would like. 

It's a 68" ~70# thrice heat tempered HHB D-bow about 1 1/4" wide. 

I put a spruce gum/alcohol finish on the belly and buffed it with olive oil.  Then I put 2 layers of poly over the whole thing.  When that dried I found there where some bad runs and I sanded them off.  Of course all of the poly was sanded off in those locations. 

Since then I have put a layer over the whole thing and one on just the spots that where sanded.  I plan to lightly sand the whole works and put a final layer on the bow.  I think this will be good enough for even moisture protection, what do you think?

I think I will be the only person who could notice any cosmetic issues :D.

Offline maitus

Re: Poly coats
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:06:12 pm »
Own work is always full of issues but others do not notice them :D

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 04:13:27 pm »
To true, that's why my question is mostly about the moisture protection.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:44:59 am »
How well does the poly stick to the olive oil?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 07:51:07 am »
How well does the poly stick to the olive oil?
That's what I was wondering
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:15:40 am »
I quit using oil on my bows when heat treating etc. Shellac sticks to about any thing. You might want to prime the wood over the olive with shellac. Then use the poly.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 08:17:48 am »
You can't  stack incompatible finishes like that.   Throwing everything you have on and hoping for the best is not a recipe for success.

Olive oil is not a drying oil so it's like trying to varnish on top of lard.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 08:24:55 am »
That hasn't been an issue so far.  I pretty much just wiped it on and wiped it off to shine the gum finish.  It was not oily when I applied the poly. 

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 08:32:56 am »
The olive oil is already on the bow, so it would be worth a shot if he is not satisfied with his finish, and shellac will stick to about any thing including your fingers. Shellac base with poly over top is compatible, and wax over that makes a good finish. He could also use a mixture of turpentine, linseed oil,and Bee's wax, and apply ,and heat into the bow. Olive oil ,or no olive oil it will suck into the wood. Apply to the wood untill the wood stops sucking it in. Then Bee's wax, and wipe down.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 08:37:07 am »
I've listed what I have put on the bow so far.  The poly isn't nearly as even as I'd like, but with a few coats I think the moisture protection will be even enough.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 11:03:50 am »
Sand it off and clean it and then do as Bassman suggests.     It's still best to commit to types of finishes that match.

You don't need the poly, oils and waxes are enough and easy to renew frequently.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 12:28:20 pm »
Thanks for the input.

Considering the fact that I already have the poly on there and it has stuck well so far, I will even it out and see what happens.  If there are any issues I will sand it off and try a new finish.

I have to think it will be good enough, and the heat tempering will add to the moisture resistance.