Author Topic: Tru oil and moisture gain  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Nasr

Tru oil and moisture gain
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:37:59 pm »
Will tru oil cause moisture regain in wood? I literally finished a bow up the other day and yesterday I put a few coats of try oil on it. When the bow was finished up and worked in really well it had a 1.25” of set. I got impatient and wanted to take a few photos of full draw and when I unstrung the bow it had increased by half of an inch of set. Really bummed about that so was wondering what changed. I literally worked the bow in and pulled it to full draw at least 100 times before true oil and tiller was fine.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:42:47 pm by Nasr »

Offline bentstick54

Re: Tru oil and moisture gain
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 10:11:11 pm »
I can’t really answer your question do to the way I understand how you applied the Truoil. I have made my 14th bow, all Osage, and have only used Truoil as a finish. After shooting the bows in about 100 shots, I will apply a minimum of 4 coats on,but if patience will allow 5 or 6 coats. I will wait a minimum of 24 hours between coats to make sure that each coat fully cures. If you put 2 coats on to close together, the 2nd coat could impede the 1st coat from curing 100%. Keep in mind no sealer is 100% moisture “proof”, just moisture resistant.

Possibly the type of wood used, and lack of proper curing of sealer could effect the situation, along with a change of weather experienced.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:09:00 am »
Be sure each coat is dry before applying the next coat.  You might try a light buffing with 0000 bronze wool between coats as well.  Works great on gunstocks, but I haven't tried it on a bow yet.  I used spray on polyurethane, but it is pretty dry here.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 01:55:38 am »
I would not think true oil could cause the moisture gain. If the conditions have been extremely damp, maybe some dampness got past the finish. Do you live in a warm moist climate?

could you have held the bow at full draw longer when you took the pics, than when you tillered?

Offline Nasr

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:36:58 am »
I would not think true oil could cause the moisture gain. If the conditions have been extremely damp, maybe some dampness got past the finish. Do you live in a warm moist climate?

could you have held the bow at full draw longer when you took the pics, than when you tillered?

I don’t truly know what caused it I don’t usually use tru oil it is something I’ve only used once before in a bow. The vast majority of my bows have been sealed with either polyurethane or lacquer because that’s what I usually have around the shop when I am working on my other stuff. But I wanted to start using tru oil from all the good I hear about it for bows. Oh well I guess I’ll just blame myself for being impatient. I guess 1.75” of set isn’t too bad.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:20:04 am »
I use Tru-oil on all my bows, arrows and gunstocks, there is no way it will cause a moisture gain.

All finishes will let moisture migrate in and out of the wood. I have several different finishes on my flintlocks, perfect inletting of parts may show a gap after a series of very dry days and wood shrinkage from the wood drying out.

I suspect your bow wasn't completely "worked in" like you thought. I have found a bow doesn't settle in until you put a few hundred arrows through it, maybe more. I have had them to seem to be shot in stable and the next ten arrows change things to the point I had to adjust the tiller.

You have to shoot a bow to to get it to settle in, for me just pulling it on the tillering tree didn't get a bow to settle in.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:56:37 am »
I use Tru-oil on all my bows, arrows and gunstocks, there is no way it will cause a moisture gain.

All finishes will let moisture migrate in and out of the wood. I have several different finishes on my flintlocks, perfect inletting of parts may show a gap after a series of very dry days and wood shrinkage from the wood drying out.

I suspect your bow wasn't completely "worked in" like you thought. I have found a bow doesn't settle in until you put a few hundred arrows through it, maybe more. I have had them to seem to be shot in stable and the next ten arrows change things to the point I had to adjust the tiller.

You have to shoot a bow to to get it to settle in, for me just pulling it on the tillering tree didn't get a bow to settle in.

I understand what your saying but when you have a routine and you get specific results consistently and then things have a different outcome or go wrong when trying something new you naturally wonder if it’s the cause. But to be honest I figured out why I got the set and you are rights its not the tru oil I will explain when I post a new topic about the bow. As far as it being worked in it was definitely worked in but the issue was related to an error I made on the tiller tree. Basically I am getting old and pulled it farther then I thought I was pulling when going back to take pictures on tiller tree.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 12:07:20 pm »
Over drawing stresses wood that hasn't been stressed before, I might have done it a time or two myself. I learned early on not to hand a strung selfbow to someone to look at, it must be a guy thing but they will jerk it back past their ear in the blink of an eye before you can stop them.

Online Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 02:44:37 pm »
Unless the bow pulls over 70#.  I can't imagine even the toughest guys could overdraw that in a hurry unless they had trained on warbows. ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 02:59:24 pm »
 People tend to make bows to shoot, not to prevent people from overdrawing them.

Online Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 03:28:52 pm »
Very true, except when I get the perfect tiller with 15# to go.  Then I just practice till I can manage it.  ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 05:31:33 pm »
There is an etiquette for selfbows, first you state your draw length then you ask permission to draw someone's bow. Few people know this, especially John Q  Public.

Online Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 07:05:13 pm »
Good to know. 

Offline Nasr

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 05:01:46 am »
There are monsters of men who are just freakishly strong wether they ever shot a heavy  bow or not. I have a friend  I gave a bow to who was interested in archery and before I can say a word he pulled the thing as far as he can until the thing exploded. Luckily some of the backing saved him. This is why I don’t hand my bows to anyone anymore without making them listen to a lecture before doing so.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 08:38:25 am »
I've been using Tru-Oil primarily on my bows since I started build them back in the late 1980's. I've lived in the Southeast US, GA, SC and NC where the summers have very high humidity and Tru-Oil has never let me down. I do do a quick spray of satin poly over the Tru-Oil to cut the shine but not enough to give any other protection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC