Author Topic: Tillering issues  (Read 2159 times)

Offline The beginner bowyer

Tillering issues
« on: December 26, 2020, 05:34:33 pm »
So I’m finally at the tillering  process for the bow I’m working on and this issue I’m running into is one limb has a nice consistent curve throughout from hand to tip but the other side it looks like it’s bending from the top of the handle the first few inches then there’s a section that it’s just kinda flat no matter how much I take away from that spot the limb dosnt really have a smooth bend to it and I feel like I’m doing something wrong and am afraid to go further because it’s already got a lower draw weight then I was hoping for any suggestions as to what might be going on?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:56:40 pm by The beginner bowyer »

Offline Whiskeyjet

Re: Tillering issues
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 05:52:02 pm »
Can you share some pics?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 07:44:48 pm »
Are you exercising the limbs between wood removal sessions?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 07:58:20 pm »
Yes I will string it and draw it about 5 times

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 08:00:33 pm »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 08:30:03 pm »
What does the unbraced profile look like?  Sometimes a spot of reflex in the stave will look flat when bent.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »
Unstrung  pics ignor the Christmas boxes haha

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »
To me, it looks like the bend is isolated to 5-7” off the fades. Limb on left bending slightly in the outer half but right limb not bending at all there. If it was mine, I’d attack the outside half of both limbs right probably twice as much as left before I bent it more. If you’re underweight now, you’re gonna lose quite a bit more getting that even, but you can still get a shooter with long life out of the deal.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 08:51:58 pm »
Also, Eric’s tillering gizmo is the easiest thing to make and will be the most valueable tool you have when learning to make a bow bend even. It will show you what your eyes don’t yet see.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 09:02:57 pm »
Take a photo of it unstrung setting on your tillering stick just like your braced profile so we can compare the two that way.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 10:05:39 pm »
To me, it looks like the bend is isolated to 5-7” off the fades. Limb on left bending slightly in the outer half but right limb not bending at all there. If it was mine, I’d attack the outside half of both limbs right probably twice as much as left before I bent it more. If you’re underweight now, you’re gonna lose quite a bit more getting that even, but you can still get a shooter with long life out of the deal.
ok so just keep working those outside parts and I have a tillering gizmo i. Been using and this a ton of help I just feel like iv been taking a ton off and wanted some out side help you have all been great thank you so much

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 10:06:39 pm »
Take a photo of it unstrung setting on your tillering stick just like your braced profile so we can compare the two that way.

I’ll take one when I’m at my work area again didn’t even think about that hindsight’s 20/20 haha

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 08:03:36 am »
I keep hearing about a tillering gizmo; I may have already asked this, but what is it?  How do you make one?

Thanks,

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 11:49:18 am »
I keep hearing about a tillering gizmo; I may have already asked this, but what is it?  How do you make one?

Thanks,
Tillering gizmo is a small block of wood with a nut inlaid into it to accept a pencil to be screwed through it. You use it to find flat spots and make your bend even. If you do a google search of this site you will find a lot about it. Eric Krewson come up with it.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 11:56:03 am »
Good idea. It sounds like it would work best on straight staves.