Author Topic: Leaving St. Kilda (A Scottish Lament)  (Read 2173 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Leaving St. Kilda (A Scottish Lament)
« on: December 15, 2020, 01:01:31 pm »
I recorded this tune my last day at the old place.  Hard to leave so much beauty and so many good memories, but we did it for the right reasons and it's time to move on.  I was kind of glad to get this video done.  Stay tuned for more cheerful offerings.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8O2FZaczWo
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Morgan

Re: Leaving St. Kilda (A Scottish Lament)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 03:51:53 pm »
Beautiful tune and beautiful homeplace, I’m certain leaving there was difficult.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 06:26:31 pm »
That recording will definitely bring back some beautiful memories Whistling Badge.
I’m sure you and your family will enjoy looking back at it in the future.

I wish you good things in your new home.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:32:46 pm »
The Tannehill Weavers introduced me to this tune, Duncan Nicholson's bagpipes skirting a fine line between maudlin and evocative. The history of the people of St Kilda is amazing, the story of their forced evacuation of the island heartbreaking.

Keep up the traditions, sir.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:51:03 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  I like sharing my music on this forum because there's a strong connection between traditional music and traditional archery, the comfort of knowing that sometimes the old ways are the best ways.  Even the non-musical people around here get that.

The Tannehill Weavers introduced me to this tune, Duncan Nicholson's bagpipes skirting a fine line between maudlin and evocative. The history of the people of St Kilda is amazing, the story of their forced evacuation of the island heartbreaking.

Keep up the traditions, sir.

I learned the tune from the Tannahill Weavers, too.  One of my favorite trad bands, probably second only to Ossian.   There are some really good young trad musicians coming out of Scotland, though.  It's good to see.  Honoring the tradition but keeping it fresh and relevant:  That's the trick.

I completely agree with your take on the St. Kildans.

Like I said, some happier tunes on the way...as soon as I find my music studio.  It's somewhere in all these boxes...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:54:45 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Strelets

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 08:08:25 am »
The evacuation wasn't forced, it was at the islanders' own request because of dwindling population, economic collapse and very poor communictions.

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/st-kilda/highlights/evacuation

Offline Strelets

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:09:26 am »
I meant communications.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 08:58:14 am »
The evacuation wasn't forced, it was at the islanders' own request because of dwindling population, economic collapse and very poor communictions.

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/st-kilda/highlights/evacuation

True.  I took "forced" to mean "forced by circumstances."  Their cultural and economic resources had been so damaged by that point they really had no choice.  It's a sad story, regardless.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 11:40:35 am »
Hauntingly beautiful melody!  Are there lyrics?  Btw, Jacie and I are in the beginning planning stages of a "music festival", probably a year out.  Right now, we are leaning towards something like the "Underground Music Festival" in Denver on a much smaller scale, we only have 3 venues in town.  The county fairgrounds may be an option, for something similar to the Scottish/Irish festivals and fairs.  I have an idea it will involve a lot of work and planning, not to mention beating back the coved pandemic.  We may try a small "camp jam" in 2021 to see if our idea is viable.  I would also like to see a WYONECO bow jam!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 11:46:44 am »
Hauntingly beautiful melody!  Are there lyrics?  Btw, Jacie and I are in the beginning planning stages of a "music festival", probably a year out.  Right now, we are leaning towards something like the "Underground Music Festival" in Denver on a much smaller scale, we only have 3 venues in town.  The county fairgrounds may be an option, for something similar to the Scottish/Irish festivals and fairs.  I have an idea it will involve a lot of work and planning, not to mention beating back the coved pandemic.  We may try a small "camp jam" in 2021 to see if our idea is viable.  I would also like to see a WYONECO bow jam!
Hawkdancer

Man, those both sound like great ideas.  You know, there's even more argument among musicians about what's "traditional" than there is among archers!

As far as I know, "St. Kilda" is just a pipe tune, with no words.  Doesn't need them, in my opinion.   :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 12:17:32 am »
We do know a couple of pipers!  I think I will get a big map, stick a pin in Chappell  and draw a circle to include the Marshalls and Twin Oaks, and call it viable!  I think you would enjoy playing music with Jacie!  To get a feel for what we do - go to "Jacie McConnell, Mystical Moments, A Sign of Things to Come".  She wrote all the songs, And I wrote the narrations.  My singing isn't anywhere near good, though. Guess my voice and ears have changed over the last 60 years (lol) :fp. Gunfire, loud airplanes, and being in the sergeant major slot will do that!  Either event would be fun! 
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 04:33:23 am »
Say, for a badger, you whistle pretty good on that thing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 07:11:52 am »
Excellent video. Beautiful music.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 07:51:27 am »
Thanks, guys.   ;D

Jerry, I just ordered a copy of your CD.  If you want to get mine, it's on my etsy shop at whistlingbadger dot com.  I really like your idea for a music/bow gathering.  Let's keep kicking it around.  This pandemic ain't going to last forever.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 01:35:01 pm »
Thomas,
Thanks for the purchase, we also ordered yours.  This music thing seems to gather speed as it rolls along!  We have a friend who is very interested and has many contacts in the area as well as a farm and is planning on a teaching traditional techniques of organic farming and other skills operation.  One of her friends was one step away from having a "street festival" when the coved hit, had a very productive " beer tasting"  the other evening!
Jerry
Jerry