Author Topic: The Ante  (Read 17680 times)

Offline HH~

Re: The Ante
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2021, 07:15:47 am »
Like I was saying earlier, Wood quality. Could tell roughing it out. Had a feeling it would not take heat very well. Make a very very nice bow just not a super jet. Now BartBow is a Gem. Wood you see every 5-10yrs "Maybe" and wish you knew where the rest of that tree went!

Go very slow finishing this Ante. Maybe hunt it next fall should make a great 45-50lb hunter.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

bownarra

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2021, 03:48:03 am »
Yes you get a feel for these things after a while :)
Looking forward to seeing it at full draw.

Offline HH~

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2021, 08:43:36 am »
That's not going to happen for sometime. I will get a string on it and will put it up for a while. I will have full brace pic purty soon and there's where it will stay in the RF-1 position for sometime. Not willing to force it with all that reflex coming out just on long string exercising it. I take that as , the wood has very little spring in it and early late growth has high level of chaulkiness. This kind of Hedge almost never hold a great deal of reflex except in tight radius'.
You can change nature only so much I guess.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

bownarra

« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2021, 11:37:18 pm »
Its not speed of wood reduction that matters just accuracy :) Not asking you to force anything Hahaha :) Good luck.

Offline HH~

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2021, 07:03:45 am »
Shawn~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2021, 07:04:16 am »
I am amused by some of the highly technical discussions about this and that on bow making here but wood is wood, you do the best you can with what you have, for me every piece is different, even from the same tree.

Offline PatM

« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2021, 08:54:06 am »
True, but to get the most out of each piece you need to know some technical stuff.

Most people are not actually trying to get the best flat out performance from each piece.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2021, 06:38:02 pm »
True, I just go for stable shooters that one can win a national championship with.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2021, 06:47:56 pm »
True, I just go for stable shooters that one can win a national championship with.

Eric then there are those that go for both. It all good though. Yes or no?
Arvin
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:51:56 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

bownarra

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2021, 12:16:43 am »

It is not the bow it is the person holding it....any decent bow would fit that bill. I know cos I've done it a few times myself eg. bowyer and shooter :) anyroad the arrows are more important than the bow as long as it is at least halfway decent....
To say you don't need to understand the technical stuff and wood is just wood.......well to each his own....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2021, 06:38:59 am »
Impressive list Arvin, I got one in there somewhere  ;) :) I guess like Eric I just go for a good shooting bow that will hold together, may know more technical stuff than I think, :-\ but never really think much about it, fun listening to you guys though. :) Bow is looking good Shawn. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2021, 07:35:15 am »
I added a long post abut my bows but decided to delete it, I didn't mean to hijack Shawn's thread and turn it into a pissing contest.

Offline PatM

« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2021, 07:57:20 am »
   It's the whole Art versus Science thing. that I've mentioned before   If you kind of dismiss or ignore the Science and still  eventually learn to make great bows you are still using the science without realizing it.  You don't need to understand it but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

FWIW the  tillering gizmo is very much a scientific tool.  It allows achieving equal bend stress in an engineering formula that looks like hieroglyphics to most of us.

Offline HH~

« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2021, 08:06:48 am »
Only been one bow since 2015 that's won Selfbow Champ that was not Arvin's and that kid shot the Bejesus out of that bow, Same kind of bow Bob Enlow shoots, Ed Neat.

There is one common thing all those bows had ? They got a place for a arra to set.

Over the course of competition it's just a fact, hard in stone, and it's what the top 10-12 selfbow men in country shoot. Some like to think show ponies can get er done but they do not produce the $ or the Wood over the course of several days. Just the way it is. Also, during that time every winner was shooting Hedge Apple as in OSAGE bows.

Though it has some to do with who's tugging on the string.  The Stat's are what they is.

HH~

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2021, 08:33:56 am »
Didn't Dan Perry do really well with hickory bows some time back?  Of course the dessert is where hickory can really do it's best.