Author Topic: Heat treating Hackberry?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Heat treating Hackberry?
« on: December 11, 2020, 10:34:47 am »
What are peoples' suggestions about heat treating hackberry? I was thinking of going for a toasted color before tillering...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat treating Hackberry?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 10:37:37 am »
I'd get to at least floor tiller stage or even first low brace before heat treating then you could do it again later if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:01:32 am »
sorry when i said before tillering I meant after floor tiller but before putting on the tillering tree. thanks Pat i could try that

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 11:04:50 am »
I just did one yesterday. I  heated at 22"   28" draw was goal on this one.   Added  6# @22".    Light heat and a light tan coloring. took 30 mins per limb 68" ntn bow.  I couldn't see any change in the tiller other than weight.   Let it cool for several hours and finished it out without issue.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 12:14:03 pm »
Your added weight might just be the wood being extra stiff before rehydrating.  Good to know that the tiller was fine and that back was ok without rehydrating.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 12:53:28 pm »
I’ve gotten where I usually do it twice. Right after long string tiller out to 20-22” but before first low brace. Then I heat again when tillered out to about 25”. I do a long heat and the belly is quite dark brown but not black. You will gain weight both times. This probably leaves a belly that isn’t the most aesthetically pleasing but is thoroughly treated.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »
Your added weight might just be the wood being extra stiff before rehydrating.  Good to know that the tiller was fine and that back was ok without rehydrating.

If done right, the weight gain is not dehydration. I do not go back to tillering for several days after ht and that is when I see the weight change. Definitely not a short lived or superficial gain.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 02:54:23 pm »
In my opinion, heat treating hackberry is a must. It makes it a snappy shooter. I heat treat it once at brace height, and one more time at 26” on the tree. Nice golden brown. Then I’ll finish tillering the last 2” so there’s no visible color change. So far, it’s worked like a charm. My two favorite bows are hackberry. 
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 04:56:56 pm »
In my opinion, heat treating hackberry is a must. It makes it a snappy shooter. I heat treat it once at brace height, and one more time at 26” on the tree. Nice golden brown. Then I’ll finish tillering the last 2” so there’s no visible color change. So far, it’s worked like a charm. My two favorite bows are hackberry.
How long do you heat one area for/how far away is your heat source? I appreciate the input everyone! Thanks!

Offline smoke

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 06:45:18 am »
I've done it with hackberry 4 or 5 times with very good results.  I always tillered first, then toasted it with a heat gun.  I'm agressive and do it pretty fast - takes about 30 minutes to do the entire bow.  I then re-tiller and often toast a second time.  If I toast a second time, another round of tillering is needed but it is a pretty easy job.