Author Topic: Steam bending heat treated limbs?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Steam bending heat treated limbs?
« on: December 07, 2020, 11:49:00 am »
is this a bad idea since a heat treated belly might not want to stretch?

gutpile

Re: Steam bending heat treated limbs?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 12:27:44 pm »
humm... I don't heat treat till bow is almost finished on tilling... probably not a good idea you will lose all your heat treat if you steam now...gut

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:53:03 pm »
Kiln dried wood is usually not suitable for steam bending, it snaps most of the time, or has a greatly reduced capacity to take and hold a bend. Heat treated wood is even more extreme than kiln dried. Sounds like a really bad idea to try and steam after a heat treat.

If you need to make a minor correction or add a little reflex, you'd have better luck with a heat gun. Wood can only take so much abuse though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:57:15 pm »
  A better question might be exactly why you need to do this.  What are you attempting to achieve?

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 06:25:49 pm »
  A better question might be exactly why you need to do this.  What are you attempting to achieve?
im working on a bow experiment. I made a small bow to practice heat treating and it took a lot of set in the process. I wanted to reflex the tips to see how performance might improve. I was inspired by a paragraph in TBBI that said a reflex deflex design would work best for a selfbow efficiency wise.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:26:23 pm »
That bow is already bending too much in the grip.  You would have to address that in your experiment.  You could always try a soaking and boil the tips to see if it can be done.   You might be sacrificing the bow though.  Not that this has to be a big deal.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 10:20:04 am »
I found that heat treated yew doesn't like to take radical steam bends, like 70° recurves. It was way stiffer than untreated wood. I never broke one but I only tried it once and then I was chicken.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 10:56:26 am »
My experience is that it is not a good idea
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 11:00:02 am »
One of the reasons heat treating helps a bow is by force-drying the wood. The moisture content in the in the wood should be too dry to bend with steam. It will break.